TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoongirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

Points: 10,294, Level: 14 Points: 10,294, Level: 14 Points: 10,294, Level: 14

working at student disability services. - December 21st 2011, 09:44 PM

Recently I got a job at Student Disability Services at my university. I'm a proctor (distribute exams,make sure no one cheats, collect exams, etc...). Sometimes I don't know how to act around disabled people though. Like sometimes I'm not sure if I should offer my help or not, because I don't want anyone to think I don't think they are capable of doing things themselves or anything. I know that when people with hearing disabilities come in, I should speak to them, not their interpretor, but there are SO many different disabilities that I come in contact with daily.
AND I've had a few girls from my sorority/other sororities/fraternities come in. I don't know whether to say hi to them or let them come say hi to me first. And should I just not bring it up when I see them outside of the student disabilty services?
Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: working at student disability services. - December 22nd 2011, 02:13 AM

Do your best to treat them like you would anyone else and maybe say something like "Let me know if you need anything" that way they feel comfortable asking and they don't feel like you're treating them any different. A lot of times people with disabilities have grown up with them and have learned to ask for what they need, if anything. It's also a good idea to talk to someone who works there and has been doing it longer.

When dealing with people you know, I think how you handle it depends how well you know the person. If they're your friend, then go ahead and say hi, otherwise I would let them say hi to you first and personally, I would avoid bringing it up with them in another setting unless they do so first. It's likely that they want to be treated as normally as possible and they may not appreciate your focusing on what's different about them. Or they just may not be comfortable discussing it for a variety of reasons, for example they are with other people who don't know about it and/or they don't feel comfortable sharing it with those people or at that particular time.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread