TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Moon Offline
Previously Memories.
Not a n00b

Name: Moon
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Points: 14,058, Level: 17 Points: 14,058, Level: 17 Points: 14,058, Level: 17

Unhappy Coming to terms with what happened - January 12th 2023, 07:47 PM

So, I started seeing a Therapist in early December and she asked if I'd experienced various traumas, one of them being sexual assault.
I've spent most of my life running from the memory of what happened, because I didn't want to accept that I had been raped. I tried to block out that memory and just kept running from it but in that moment, I couldn't for some reason.

My question, the thing I need help with - How do you come to terms with being raped after it's been nearly 20 years? I still wrestle with it and trying to accept what happened, happened, and it won't help me to run from it. I just... Don't know how to because any time I think about it, I get insane impostor syndrome.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,140, Level: 47 Points: 109,140, Level: 47 Points: 109,140, Level: 47

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 13th 2023, 10:10 AM

Hello Moon,

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. When something horrible happens in our lives like this or something else, we can accept what happened or act like everything is totally fine and really we are not okay with what has happened or this can hurt us so much that we feel this feeling is never going to go away. Everything that you are feeling is okay and never let anyone tell you that you have to think and feel differently. If you would like to try writing down what has happened to you on paper and then you can try writing out how you truly feel about this and then when you are done you can keep this or you can rip it up and throw it away. Or if you would like to, you can try saying out loud when no one is around how you feel about this and if you start to cry when writing or saying this out loud, don't come down on yourself. Then after you do this, try to find something to help you to get your mind off of this for a while. Reading a book or drawing or painting or listening to music or watching movies or TV shows or playing a game or going for a walk around your house or something else that you enjoy doing. I hope you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 13th 2023, 01:22 PM

Hi Moon, thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry you experienced trauma at such a young age; and there's never an expiration date on having it! I would be honest with your therapist, let them know when it happened, and that you still struggle with it. They will not judge you for still feeling the way you do after two years and if they do, then they're not a good therapist.

Also, have you considered support groups for rape survivors? I would look into that and maybe someone else on here can provide the resources for you to utilize. It's so unfair that you've had to keep this to yourself for so long, and it's long past due for you receive the appropriate support for your traumas.

Wishing you the best of luck today at your appointment. Feel free to reach out again if you ever need to.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Moon Offline
Previously Memories.
Not a n00b

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 14th 2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal. View Post
Hi Moon, thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry you experienced trauma at such a young age; and there's never an expiration date on having it! I would be honest with your therapist, let them know when it happened, and that you still struggle with it. They will not judge you for still feeling the way you do after two years and if they do, then they're not a good therapist.

Also, have you considered support groups for rape survivors? I would look into that and maybe someone else on here can provide the resources for you to utilize. It's so unfair that you've had to keep this to yourself for so long, and it's long past due for you receive the appropriate support for your traumas.

Wishing you the best of luck today at your appointment. Feel free to reach out again if you ever need to.
I still get overwhelming impostor syndrome about it. Which, is one reason I've always sort of kept it close to the chest. The idea of going to a group just.. Already seems overwhelming, and I'd feel so.. Wrong if I went. I already feel like some people had it happen worse, which makes me feel like I should just be quiet about it all.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old

Jeez, get a life!

Points: 109,140, Level: 47 Points: 109,140, Level: 47 Points: 109,140, Level: 47

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 15th 2023, 11:03 PM

I'm sorry for what happened to you. Would you be able to try finding one person to let in and talk about this and how this has made you feel? It can be very hard to let others in when we are going through something or something has happened to us and we don't know how to open up to them. Maybe try writing someone a letter and you can put everything in it that you would like to talk about and try talking with them after they read this. I hope you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Moon Offline
Previously Memories.
Not a n00b

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 15th 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfing girl View Post
I'm sorry for what happened to you. Would you be able to try finding one person to let in and talk about this and how this has made you feel? It can be very hard to let others in when we are going through something or something has happened to us and we don't know how to open up to them. Maybe try writing someone a letter and you can put everything in it that you would like to talk about and try talking with them after they read this. I hope you will be okay soon.
I've tried talking about it, but I feel like the second I do, I just mentally check out. Like it feels like I'm watching it happen. I may try to talk about it with my therapist.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Coming to terms with what happened - January 16th 2023, 09:03 AM

I understand that it can be hard to open up and talk about what you have been through. Try going onto this website when you have time, it is, https://www.rainn.org They have a chat and you can call them if you would like to try talking with someone about what has happened to you. I hope that you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

-Jacques d’Ambroise''
Closed Thread