TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

I think my girlfriend was raped - June 2nd 2021, 01:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Two days ago, my girlfriend told me she cheated on me with her friend at a party. My brain froze up basically and I didnt talk to her for two days. Since then, she provided more context for what happened and it really sounds like it might be sexual assault or rape.
She was at a party with a close friend of hers and she got blackout drunk- it sounds like more than 10 drinks, mostly hard liquor, and she rarely has more than one. He wasn't anywhere near as drunk, being sober enough to drive. She only remembers bits and pieces at certain points, but she doesn't remember going to the car. He made out with her and received oral sex in the car. She came to and drove home late in the morning, still feeling drunk. Since then he told her that he didnt cut her off on purpose and that he'd been planning to seduce her.
She's been apologizing up and down to me and I just assumed this was her fault because she said she cheated. I was prepared to break up with her, and now I feel like a total asshole for not hearing her out and being critical. This is sexual assault, right? And because there was penetration, thats rape? I need to know this so I can prosecute if need be.
I've been feeling like shit the last few days. That said, I know thats nothing to how she feels.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: I think my girlfriend was raped - June 2nd 2021, 03:20 AM

Hey Robert. Thanks for reaching out. I hope we can help.

Yes, it sounds like your girlfriend was sexually assaulted and/or raped. I don't know which country you're from , but the United States Department of Justice defines rape as “The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.” So, if you are in the United States, yes, your girlfriend's experience falls within the definition of rape.

Your girlfriend could legally not consent to any sex acts if she was drunk. Alcohol negates consent. Given the fact that her friend later said he intentionally meant to get her drunk and planned to "seduce" her makes it very apparently sexual assault.

I am glad you were willing to listen to your girlfriend open up and give more details about what happened. While one can't know exactly what she's feeling, victims of sexual assault and rape often feel confused, scared, worthless, and like what happened is their fault. I hope you will be there to support her going forward. She may want to seek therapy, or, if she's religious, guidance from a spiritual figure. I hope you support her, if that's something she decides.

I do want to say that, though I imagine you have many feelings about what happened, please do not push her to prosecute her friend, or report him to the authorities. You might want to suggest those are options, and if she chooses to go forward, support and aid her in that, but this kind of experience is very, very hard to go through. Reliving it for the authorities can be traumatizing all over again, and unfortunately, these crimes often don't really get prosecuted. Very few rapists actually experience legal consequences. So I know you might want to prosecute, but remember, that's her decision. The best thing you can do is to be there, listen, and show her you still care about her, because often these experiences make people think they are worthless and unlovable.

I hope this helped. PM me if you need anything, okay? Take care of yourself, and your girlfriend.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: I think my girlfriend was raped - June 4th 2021, 09:35 AM

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear what you and your girlfriend have been through. It certainly sounds like you're both having a difficult time at the moment. It does sound like your girlfriend was sexually assaulted due to the fact that your girlfriend was drunk, could not give consent to what was happening and this person admitted to seducing her. I agree with Garyl in regards to being there and supporting to your girlfriend as much as you can. If you ever need anything, feel free to message me.

Closed Thread