TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Republicans redefine rape for abortion laws - February 4th 2011, 08:37 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
In the UK we have one of the lowest rape conviction rates in Europe I believe, so I highly doubt its actually particularly abused, and if it is, rarely successfully. And the police handle rape cases infamously poorly. They basically intergergate the victim (I've personally witnessed the police basically telling my friend it was her fault she got raped, and that it really was consentual and she was just feeling regret.), and make it really hard to press charges, if they dont simply brush it off (here's one you should care about, as it probably effects male rape victims). There was meant to be a huge investigation in the way in which our police force investigate rape and handle potential victims, but that got cut by the LibDems.
In defence of the police and criminal justice system, a fair number of complaints are also dropped by victims (will look up the statistics when I can find my old textbook), and if a case does reach trial the conviction rate is on a par with other serious offences. That said, if your friend was treated in such a way by the police I would ask that you please make that known to the IPCC as that is a quite serious breach of police protocol and should be dealt with - there is no excuse for that attitude by investigators anymore.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement until the actual bill is published, but suffice it to say any amendment to the definition of rape which would remove incidents where drugging or any other means of removing consent is used would be a huge backwards step in my mind.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 573232 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Republicans redefine rape for abortion laws - February 4th 2011, 09:16 PM

Taking into the account the massive abuse of claims of rape... the police get fucked both ways. If they investigate too much, they're decried by feminists as hurting the "victim". If they investigate too little, they're decried by everyone else for taking her word for it.

First step: Anonymity for those accused. Makes it easier to conduct a full investigation, and gets rid of the possibility of false rape claims which are increasing exponentially atm.
Step after that: Develop more advanced ways of obtaining evidence of rape.

Remember: ALWAYS innocent before proven guilty. It's always worse for someone to be wrongly jailed than for a rapist to go free IMO.
Closed Thread