TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
S. Darko Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,023, Level: 12 Points: 7,023, Level: 12 Points: 7,023, Level: 12

Exclamation Medication help - July 12th 2012, 03:19 AM

I take medication for my schizophrenia, but it doesnt help. I just stopped taking it altogether and my roommates Josh and Aidan say that I space out too much and dont pay attention to what Im doing without it. But I think that the pills make it all worse and they have had to corner me to take them before. My doctor wont perscribe anything else yet. What should I do if the medication that is meant to help, makes it worse, but Im also bad without it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Medication help - July 12th 2012, 03:49 AM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

I used to work with people who had schizophrenia, so I know how bad the side effects can be for some of the medications. Ultimately, you have to choose the lesser of two evils: take medication and risk having side effects, or don't take medication and risk hurting yourself and/or others due to the effects of untreated schizophrenia.

The good thing about medication is that there are numerous combinations you can try. It may take a while to find something that has a minimal number of side effects, but I've met a few people with schizophrenia who behave so "normally" that I would've never known they had a diagnosis of schizophrenia! They didn't give up, both medication- and therapy-wise. They communicated with their psychiatrists and other psychological professionals. Keep doing that with yours (vs. deciding to go cold turkey or something else that is dangerous without consulting first), and I'm confident you'll be able to manage the symptoms of schizophrenia with greater ease in the future. It'll never be "perfect," but it'll be better than doing nothing at all.

Something else you may want to consider doing is getting a second opinion - just to confirm that your symptoms truly are caused by schizophrenia, and not by something else. What's the use in taking medication for schizophrenia if that's not the correct diagnosis?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BloodRedRose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaycee

Points: 9,489, Level: 14 Points: 9,489, Level: 14 Points: 9,489, Level: 14

Re: Medication help - July 12th 2012, 03:49 AM

have you explained to the Dr. that the meds are not helping? if so did they give you a valid reason they want to keep you on it for now such as it might take time to get into your system. Some meds take a long time to get into your system and fully start helping you so even if they aren't helping just yet you may need to continue to keep taking them regular for a cretin period of time before you start really seeing the affects of the medication. Honestly I'd go back to the dr and Explain to them that the med is not working and ask how long they want me on it before they will change the med or dose...

Closed Thread