TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

My disability is it worth trying in life - February 23rd 2018, 10:31 PM

I am so fucking stupid I really want to pass my theory test it's been years and I still can't do it cause i'm a fucking twat. I will admit I do hardly put enough effort it which is obviously my fault but I feel if I put all this effort in and fail whats the point I am so lazy!!! I recently got a new job I now work for 02 the mobile phone company I did have a similar job like this but I worked for EE but I sadly had to resign because of my anorexia was pretty bad. I have always wanted to work around phones but I am worried in case my dyslexia stops me from doing the job I am struggling it is hard but I have only been there for 2 weeks...

I think I am doing well for someone who has only been at it for 2 weeks to be fair. One major factor I struggle with is memorising things and keeping them in my brain you can tell me something and next time you ask me I will have forgot how to do it it's either my learning issues or I am just fucking stupid.

I really want to pass my theory exam I spent so much money to learn how to drive a car it's so fucking easy but I can't do the fucking computer exam it's so stupid and biased I don't think it should even exist in my opinion lets be frank I won't remember the signs when I am driving anyway! How much should someone in my situation be practicing a day?

I am worried about my disability affecting my job I always get told off by my family for having a bad attitude towards things but I am so fucking stupid it's unreal intelligence is not something I am blessed with it's really not I can't do anything like maths, I can't tie my shoes, I can't spell very well, I don't know my left and right.

I am such a failure.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: My disability is it worth trying in life - February 24th 2018, 05:03 AM

Hey Justin, I've been there and said those exact same things. Learned helplessness is it's own hell, but it's very real and I don't blame you for being discouraged. If you disclose your disability, you're entitled to accommodations which should help with your job, or at least keep you from losing it. Now, there's obviously down sides to that which I'm sure you know. I tried several times to get my license and eventually gave up. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but for me it was the right decision. You aren't stupid, it's just harder for people to recognize and appreciate your intelligence.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: My disability is it worth trying in life - February 24th 2018, 07:11 PM

Hey there,

I am not sure how it works in your Country but if you notify the agency about your disability ... they should be able to provide you with accommodation. I am not sure what they would be but they might help you to have an easier time passing your test. Another thing you could try is seeing if there are any tips/tricks to memorizing the content that you need to learn when you have memory problems. When I first took the writing portion of the driving test ... I failed... I was devastated. The second time I was able to take it and I passed and I didn't end up missing a ton. When I took the driving portion I barely passed because my anxiety was so bad and driving with someone I didn't know made it worse!

You have different disabilities than me but you might be able to find ways to cope and ways to get help for the things you want such as passing the test.

As for work, you can look into what type of accommodation they are required to provide in your country. I know some countries don't have any type of rules pertaining to people with disabilities but it might be worth looking into if your country has any. You can google work place discrimination laws in [insert your city or country] and you might be able to find something. If your country has laws than you could try and look into them more and see if you can talk to someone within the agency pertaining to your rights and how best to go about disclosing your disability to your employer etc.

I know things are tough but keep hanging in there.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: My disability is it worth trying in life - February 24th 2018, 08:19 PM

Hi guys I have not disclosed my learning disability to my employer because I don't want to just yet I am not struggling at work to much. Last time I notified to my last employer I got discriminated and bullied and my brother who's also a top manager almost took them to court.

My big Issue is this exam I went on to explain how I am quite good at doing things with my hands and stuff but when it comes to academic stuff such as tests and stuff I am not so good. I really want to pass this test I will admit the last few times I have done I have not tried hard enough I remember once I was only 3 marks off passing it! I need to do it it will be really helpful in life.
Closed Thread