TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

What helps you stay strong? - December 25th 2020, 09:08 PM

I was wondering if we could share something that helps us stay strong or any advice you might have for someone who is struggling to keep going? Something that helps you or your words of support might really help someone this year.

Every day I self-care for my poorly sister, giving her space when she needs, carrying her when walking just gets too much. Or just sitting with her, holding her hand or reading one of her favourite books. Every day I check in with our Maman to make sure she's good. Sometimes she finds days hard going and I know she misses her friends. And I self-care for myself as I am the strongest in my family and take leadership of us.

What also helps me keep going is the New Year that brings Covid vaccine hope and the promise of better days to come.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 25th 2020, 11:41 PM

Whenever I have moments when I feel like I'm struggling, I look back at where I used to be. I think of all the struggles I've been through in my life and think how far I've come.

University was one of the most difficult times of my life, not because of the work itself, but the people I was surrounded by. I fell deeply in love and had my heart broken in two. My own fault really. I also made a friend there whom I thought much of, but we clashed often because she and I had very different views on behaviour and how one should behave towards others.

I look at all the good parts of my time there as well. I made a great circle of good, wonderful friends. One in particular whom I became so close to that in the span of just a few months, she knew me better than anyone else there could ever have done. I confided so many secrets in her. She sat there and let me cry, and hugged me when I needed it the most.

Definitely looking back on the hardships we've each been through shows just how strong we really are. It demonstrates perseverance despite all odds, and a willingness to survive.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 27th 2020, 10:09 PM

Thank you Sarah.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 28th 2020, 08:16 PM

I agree with Sarah about reflecting on previous hardships and realising how we got through them can help. I also like to reflect on happier times and remember that there are still good times ahead and I like to imagine future good times in the hope that they can one day happen. It helps to keep me motivated and keep me going

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 28th 2020, 10:01 PM

Thank you Celyn
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 28th 2020, 10:04 PM

I think the most important thing is not to get caught up on the past in the context of "what should have/could have/would have been" as well as not getting to carried away with 'dreams' of the future. Stay in the present moment, be grounded and aware of your surroundings.

At any point throughout the day — preferably in the evening or shortly before bed — take some time for yourself and review the past ten or so hours. What have you accomplished? Were there anything that made you sad or mad? What can be done to remedy that? In this sense, it is ok to think about the future; but only in the immediate future, such as the following day or week.

Other things that help me stay strong is doing projects and finding things that make me feel useful... such as being on here.

I think this time of year is difficult for a lot of people due to the cold weather and short days/long nights.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: What helps you stay strong? - December 31st 2020, 12:06 AM

For me, looking for things I'm grateful for etc doesn't always work because I feel like that way, I can't justify how I feel in the moment. I'm trying to make more of an effort to acknowledge how I feel and allow myself to feel it without criticising myself too much for it. Self-care includes kindness to yourself and I think many people, myself included, really struggle to remember that when things are hard.

Otherwise, trying to not isolate myself is something I try to do as well. I usually try to talk to my friends, even if it's just a distraction, so that at least I'm not on my own and I have company for a while. If I'm not in a good place, suggesting something like a walk can be helpful too as the fresh air is beneficial. But mostly, simple things keep me grounded and busy. Playing some games with friends, a quiz, watching a feel-good movie or TV show.

I also find self care is really helpful too. For me, this involves a long, hot shower, and a facemask, a skincare routine, and just feeling fresher and more well put together. I always end up feeling slightly more productive because of that, even though in reality I haven't done much, but it helps me to feel like I can function still.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: What helps you stay strong? - January 11th 2021, 12:23 AM

There are a few different things that come to mind, but for me, my anger keeps me strong. It kind of puts a fire under me and makes me want to better myself and be better than my abusers. It motivates me as odd as that might sound.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
HowrdJns89 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Howard

Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4 Points: 700, Level: 4

Re: What helps you stay strong? - March 26th 2021, 05:33 PM

my family and my son!