TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Meds again? - July 29th 2021, 10:37 AM

I used to take antidepressants from July 2019 to February 2021. First two types had significant side effects and I settled with the third one prescribed by my doc, which I took from summer 2020 to February this year.
I gradually went off the meds because I was feeling better. Things were okay-ish until around June, when I started having mood swings and depressive episodes. I feel like it's all going downhill once more. I've been thinking whether I should start taking meds again.

The thing is, I really don't like taking any kind of pills. I only take painkillers when it's absolutely necessary and that's about it. I just don't like the idea of some chemicals going through my stomach and then dispersing into my body. Another thing is that I'm afraid of the side effects, also of the processes of starting to take meds and going off them.
And the last reason why I'm hesitating is that psychiatric consultations are very expensive in my country. Some medications are refunded, but some are not. If I'm prescribed the ones I have to fully pay for it would be a considerable strain on my budget. Psychotherapy once a week is already kind of expensive. I'm not sure what to do.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Meds again? - July 29th 2021, 09:39 PM

Hey there,

It definitely can be a big decision whether or not to go on meds.

I want to start out by saying that the issue with stopping medication because you feel better is because a lot of the time you are feeling better is because of the meds. Medication helps to stabilize you but when you go off of it you’re at risk of backsliding like you unfortunately are now.

If you do decide to go on meds maybe you can start on a lower dose? I would make the person you are aware of your concerns about not liking to take pills and not liking chemicals. I’d also talk about side effects. Everyone is different for sure but maybe they’d be able to tell you how to deal with typical ones and what to look out for.

The expense is definitely an issue though! Mental health access isn’t always the best. Are there any programs in your country that help people afford their meds?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hendertik Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2 Points: 166, Level: 2

Post Re: Meds again? - January 4th 2022, 11:20 AM

Have you tried various dietary supplements to restore and maintain mental health? usually have a cumulative effect. I don’t know what’s wrong with you, your diagnosis ... but the edit

Last edited by Ennui.; January 4th 2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Please support any medical claims.
Closed Thread