TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Afraid that I will get fat... - April 26th 2022, 05:37 PM

I've been gaining some weight for the past months due to heavy depressive episodes, when I binged on fast food and snacks. Now I got so addicted to this kind of food that I have to eat something sweet every day, even though in the past I used to control myself without any problems.

I am still slim, but I've noticed my stomach has got fatter. Today I was at a dancing class and I could see my figure compared to our dance instructor. I was horrified, and while I'm still rather thin, I'm terrified at the idea that if this continues I will just end up fat.

I don't like to exercise, I don't like sports, I don't like hitting the gym or doing any activities outside. I don't know what to do. I don't have enough motivation to do any exercise regularly, but I have to lose some fat from the stomach.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 26th 2022, 05:41 PM

Same as me. But you will join the gym if you want to stay slim! Or else you will start to go outside. Walk and walk, then you will run with no fatigue. It will be a joke for you.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 26th 2022, 09:33 PM

Weight is just calories in vs. calories out. If you eat more than your metabolic rate, you will gain. You metabolize more calories while exercising, but other than that the only way is to eat less. Try eating less calorie dense foods.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 27th 2022, 03:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with a little fat around the waist.

Not only can depression contribute to weight gain, birth control can do this too. I know in another thread you said you recently switched to the pill as opposed to an implant. That's something to keep in mind as well.

I would start just by going on brief daily walks. It doesn't have to be a mile or anything super strenuous; it can just be a five or ten minute walk. Go somewhere with views, it'll help make the walk go by quicker and make it seem less daunting. Try mixing up what you eat for meals; for example, add more proteins and greens. If you absolutely have to have sweets, put them in the freezer and have one piece of chocolate/candy bar; set aside a time of the day when you'll treat yourself to it.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 28th 2022, 03:54 AM

While bodies of every size are valid and beautiful, I understand your concerns about gaining weight, especially due to mental health-related issues. It's a concern shared by many, and you are not alone.

I also agree with Jenna about the walks. Movement is good for the human body, past just a point of exercising to work towards physique goals (weight loss or gain, gaining muscle mass or tone, etc.); we are literally made to move. If going for a walk is too much, you can do something a little more simple that requires more muscle groups: standing for five minutes, or walking around indoors for a few minutes every hour. Something is better than nothing.

As for wanting something sweet, I don't know what you crave, but a good alternative might be nutritional drinks or supplements. Some are rather sweet, with flavors like chocolate, coffee, strawberry, or even more exotic things like chai tea, they're lower in calories than a dessert, and, being nutritional supplements, they are full of vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy! Another good option is fruit with some yogurt or a little sugar sprinkled on top. Basically, no food is bad, and you can still have sweet things and maintain a physique you're comfortable with; you just might have to switch up the kind of sweetness you engage in to help try and prevent unwanted weight gain.

Remember to be kind to yourself, though. Dealing with depression is stressful and hard, and you're doing well just to keep going and making it! I hope you are proud of yourself for that and can give yourself some credit for that. Remember, too, that bodies change with time and age, and rarely does size stay constant at all times. That is not a personal failing; it's just the nature of living life in the bodies we have, and that's okay.

I hope these suggestions help somewhat, and remember: just by being you and being here, you're doing great. Keep it up.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 28th 2022, 06:48 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind and try to use them

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
rachb Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1

Re: Afraid that I will get fat... - April 30th 2022, 11:07 AM

Judge your weight objectively. Look for the healthy weight for your age and height and if you are within the healthy weight, do not feel bad even if you feel fat. I know it's hard to master our emotions and thoughts. It causes stress and anxiety, but it is possible. Don't give up!
Closed Thread