TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Has anyone here used ketamine therapeutically in a clinical setting? - May 14th 2022, 01:27 PM

The dissociative psychedelic ketamine has been FDA approved for the management of treatment resistant depressions for a few years now. It came out around 2018/2019. It is available in nasal spray form and in the form of injection at a ketamine clinic. Ketamine produces instantaneous antidepressant effect lasting for weeks after a single session according to the clinical trials.

It is possible that other psychedelics will be approved to treat mental conditions in the future (MDMA being the closest to approval- for PTSD), but ketamine was first because it was already FDA approved to induce anesthesia.

Has anyone here tried it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59 Points: 172,635, Level: 59

Re: Has anyone here used ketamine therapeutically in a clinical setting? - May 14th 2022, 03:38 PM

I haven’t tried it but I definitely would consider it. I‘be heard people say it works.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,323, Level: 47 Points: 109,323, Level: 47 Points: 109,323, Level: 47

Re: Has anyone here used ketamine therapeutically in a clinical setting? - May 21st 2022, 12:58 PM

Hello,

I also have not tried this before. You can always ask your doctor about this and see what they say about it. Ask what is the good and the bad about this and then go from what they are saying. Before talking to them you can try writing down all of your questions on paper so that you don't forget anything else that you would like to ask. I wish you the best and hope that everything works out for you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Has anyone here used ketamine therapeutically in a clinical setting? - May 23rd 2022, 07:27 PM

I haven't tried it personally, but know people who have and I have a clinical interest in ketamine, MDMA, etc for the treatment of depression PTSD and so forth. So I've been following the research for a number of years, here are a few good summary posts for anyone interested that explains the therapeutic benefits of ketamine without getting into research papers:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ant-depression
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019052216673

In most places, you will not be considered for ketamine treatment for depression without being deemed "treatment-resistant" as in, other treatments that have been ineffective or with other extenuating circumstances. If that is something you're dealing with, speaking with your doctor and asking for an assessment at a ketamine clinic may be beneficial.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Has anyone here used ketamine therapeutically in a clinical setting? - May 29th 2022, 06:06 PM

I have not tried it. I have done a little bit of research on it and have read (at least people with PTSD) say that it's helpful to do infusions first and then move to another form.

I might try it as a last resort. My current medications aren't working, so I have one left to try (I've tried pretty much all of them) and then I am going to try ketamine. Only thing is, I've heard that it's very expensive, at least for infusions. That is a deterrent for me.

I've heard people say that it works really well. I have a hopeful feeling especially if I do end up trying it. Most meds don't work for me because my depression/anxiety and everything stems from trauma and not depression by itself and meds aren't usually meant for trauma.

The other med I have heard as being close to a PTSD related drug is Prazosin which I use for sleep and nightmares. It works well.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread