TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37 Points: 67,912, Level: 37

Struggling with sleep. - May 25th 2022, 11:49 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've marked this as triggering as there is going to be a slight mention of meds and mixing meds that generally shouldn't really like be mixed etc,

Basically, I am struggling with sleep. no matter what I do, I seem to be able to like get off sleep okay after a few mins etc, but then like come 5am, 6am or around those times I am waking up, it's not due to light coming into my room and I have two black out blinds in my bedroom so my room is like plenty dark enough, its not like noise from outside or noise disturbance as I have a fan on all night. I've tried going to bed later in the hopes I dont wake up at like 5am or 6am, but I still do. I have my phone on DND (do not disturb and on silent).

I'm on Two meds that are both sedative (Zopiclone and quetiapine/serouquel. however these aren't like proving to be enough, I've recently bought myself some over the counter herbal meds in the hopes they would help and took them along side my other 2 night time meds. But still no luck. I've tried painkillers that have a sedative effect too and that doesn't like seem to work, I feel tempted to mix my meds with alcohol to just like see if that makes me sleep through the night but haven't done so as of yet.

Each night before bed I read or listen to a podcast/late night radio show, I follow the same routine each night, I don't know what else to do, ironically at college we have been looking at how to improve sleep yet none of those techniques work either.

help. I am desperate for a full nights sleep!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Struggling with sleep. - May 26th 2022, 06:10 PM

Maybe one thing you can try in addition to the podcast/late night radio show is progressive muscle relaxation or guided meditation. There are videos on YouTube so you can follow along with them. For me they help me relax my body and calm down so I can fall asleep.

Do you take in caffeine, even in soda or tea, before bed? It may help if you cut out the caffeine a few hours before bedtime.

I've also heard that you should give it about 20-30 minutes of trying to sleep, then get up and do something like stretches or something calming, and then try to sleep again, because laying in bed struggling to sleep doesn't help.

Do you try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, and have a nighttime routine? Those are two things I struggle with as well but they are supposed to help your body recognize when it's time for bed so you get tired and can fall asleep.

This link from the sleep foundation has more tips on how to help improve your sleep hygiene.

I wouldn't mix alcohol with your medications, though. That can get very dangerous and cause harm to your body, plus alcohol isn't actually a good way to get restful sleep. If you have the urge to drink I'd try to do something else like take a short walk or use distraction techniques.

What other things have you tried?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,149, Level: 47 Points: 109,149, Level: 47 Points: 109,149, Level: 47

Re: Struggling with sleep. - May 27th 2022, 12:37 AM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time sleeping and I hope that you will be able to sleep soon. I drink a lot of herbal tea and sleep time tea when I am having a hard time sleeping. Also taking a shower or a bath can help you to relax some too. You can also try some stretching to help you sleep. If you are stressed or upset about something, try writing out this on paper and then try doing something to help you to relax some before going to sleep. You can also try calling your doctor and letting them know about this and see how they can help you. I hope you are able to get some sleep soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Struggling with sleep. - May 28th 2022, 01:51 AM

Sleep stuff like Melatonin screws me up, so I stopped taking it. I can sleep fine with my CPAP machine. I do hope you can find a solution to this problem. I have been suggested to read a book, watch TV, etc. I actually have managed to sleep just fine with my CPAP as I have sleep apnea. If I use it, I feel way less 'groggy' like or messed up during the day time.
Closed Thread