TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lucyintheground Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,859, Level: 11 Points: 5,859, Level: 11 Points: 5,859, Level: 11

My friend has anorexia - February 11th 2014, 10:31 PM

hi guys,
My best friend has had anorexia for about six months. I don't like what she is doing, obviously, but right now I am one of the only stable things in her life. I have at least some form of depression and also do self harm, and so I call us the 'two fuckups'. it has been really great to have a supporting force in my life, but she is a lot worse than me, and she is slipping away. She eats around [Edited.] a day, and swims about twice or three times a week. on other days she does five hundred crunches and situps and pushups to keep the calories down. I am really worried. I try not to push her, but I mean... I am starting to have frequent visions of me at her funeral!!! what should I do?

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; February 12th 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight or calorie numbers on TeenHelp.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CaRawooo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: CaRa

Points: 6,170, Level: 11 Points: 6,170, Level: 11 Points: 6,170, Level: 11

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 11th 2014, 11:03 PM

I suggest if things get way out of hand you go STRAIGHT to her parents. Talk to your school councilor for the time being. Also try getting on some websites that show the side effects of what she is doing. (hair loss, acne etc.)

Most of all do not leave her side and be there for her.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12 Points: 7,145, Level: 12

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 12th 2014, 01:41 AM

First, welcome! hope you like teenhelp! you can PM me any time
As for your friend... It's terrible that she's going through this, and that it puts so much pressure on you. I'm sorry you're both struggling with this. But the best thing to do is to just be there for her. If you think it's bad enough, tell her parents if they don't already know. and even if they do know it might help to tell them that you think she's getting worse. If you're worried that she'll hate you for it, i totally understand (i have been in a very similar situation). But remember that her safety is more important. She will probably actually be glad you stepped in in the long run. Just keep being strong for her.
I hope that helped at least a little. good luck! and i hope to see you around!

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Points: 9,772, Level: 14 Points: 9,772, Level: 14 Points: 9,772, Level: 14

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 12th 2014, 11:22 AM

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us and it's great that you care so much for your friend that you'd post a topic hear, you're a great person.

As for your friend, have you tried talking straight to her about what she's doing? I would recommend sitting her down and talking to her before you go to her parents, tell her that you can't watch her do this to herself, and tell her that you want to help her get through this. Depending on her reaction, you may not need to tell her parents, however that is always an option if you feel like she's not listening to you or she is getting worse.

As Stelles said, you may think that she will hate you for this, but make sure both of you know that you're doing this for her safety, because that more than anything shows that you do care, and she'll begin to appreciate that with time. Stay strong and make sure that you look after her, and look after yourself too.

I know this can be hard, and it definitely isn't beneficial for your self-harm, but remember that you're an amazing friend, and she's lucky to have someone as caring as you as a friend, if you ever need anyone to talk to about this, I've been in your situation before, as well as hers. Feel free to send me a message if you need it.

Take care of yourself as well,
~Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 12th 2014, 08:47 PM

hi, im in a similar situation with my sister, she starves herself, she has anorexia, but my sister has recently started seeing a counsellor and its like we are still all walking on egg shells around her no one can like make comments at dinner time etc in case we all set her off or something like that. i often find myself buying things that she likes to eat just in the hope that she will eat it or something like that.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
CarolWells Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Carol Wells

Points: 5,998, Level: 11 Points: 5,998, Level: 11 Points: 5,998, Level: 11

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 13th 2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralpanda View Post
Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us and it's great that you care so much for your friend that you'd post a topic hear, you're a great person.

As for your friend, have you tried talking straight to her about what she's doing? I would recommend sitting her down and talking to her before you go to her parents, tell her that you can't watch her do this to herself, and tell her that you want to help her get through this. Depending on her reaction, you may not need to tell her parents, however that is always an option if you feel like she's not listening to you or she is getting worse.

As Stelles said, you may think that she will hate you for this, but make sure both of you know that you're doing this for her safety, because that more than anything shows that you do care, and she'll begin to appreciate that with time. Stay strong and make sure that you look after her, and look after yourself too.

I know this can be hard, and it definitely isn't beneficial for your self-harm, but remember that you're an amazing friend, and she's lucky to have someone as caring as you as a friend, if you ever need anyone to talk to about this, I've been in your situation before, as well as hers. Feel free to send me a message if you need it.

Take care of yourself as well,
~Jack.
Your thoughts was awesome!

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” - C.S Lewis
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 14th 2014, 02:22 PM

Hey there,

I think that it is great that you are concerned for your friend. It shows a great deal that you are a very sweet person.

Your friend has to realize that with anorexia come lots of really bad consequences. I'm not saying she chose to have this disease, because my no means does anyone choose to have an eating disorder. It still comes with things that aren't good. You could always Google that list and show it to her.

Also let her know that starving herself actually can have the reverse effect. Her body is bound to get hungry, and when you cut off the bodys food supply and then you give it food, because it needs it, it is going to store that food because it fears that it isn't going to be given it again for awhile. This can actually cause her to gain weight.

You could suggest that she talk to a school counselor or any other trusted adult in her life. That could be a teacher, a friends parent, anyone she trusts. It is important to have others to help and support you that have access to other resources she might need. If she refuses to go and doesn't make any head way, then I would suggest talking to her parents. She may get mad at you for a little while, and that is okay. You have her best interest at heart and she does need to get help.

Also have you looked at speaking to someone about the stuff you are going through it could really help. I wish you luck with all you endeavors.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
CarolWells Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Carol Wells

Points: 5,998, Level: 11 Points: 5,998, Level: 11 Points: 5,998, Level: 11

Re: My friend has anorexia - February 28th 2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyintheground View Post
hi guys,
My best friend has had anorexia for about six months. I don't like what she is doing, obviously, but right now I am one of the only stable things in her life. I have at least some form of depression and also do self harm, and so I call us the 'two fuckups'. it has been really great to have a supporting force in my life, but she is a lot worse than me, and she is slipping away. She eats around [Edited.] a day, and swims about twice or three times a week. on other days she does five hundred crunches and situps and pushups to keep the calories down. I am really worried. I try not to push her, but I mean... I am starting to have frequent visions of me at her funeral!!! what should I do?
Did her family know about what happened to her now? I became a anorexia patient before I think she need a professional help possible now. You as her friend is good, but if that case she need more medical consultation to help her. Admission-service.com help me to win the battle from being a patient to teen helper.

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” - C.S Lewis
Closed Thread