TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14

Is starving yourself an Eating Disorder? - March 3rd 2014, 03:40 PM

So, yeah. I've been thinking lately and I am not quite good.. my self-harm just gets worse and I begin to starve myself because I think, nobody else would like me otherwise and I'll never get a boyfriend like everyone else in my class. I didn't eat anything today yet. I will probably eat something today. And yesterday I just ate some quick breakfast but nothing else.

So my question is if starving yourself is some sort of ED.
I just keep on getting worse and have suicidal thoughts again.. Now I am even thinking on commiting suicide..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25

Re: Is starving yourself an Eating Disorder? - March 3rd 2014, 04:29 PM

I'll start by answering your question: by itself, not eating is not a disorder. It's disordered eating (in the way it is not the normal thing to do) but alone it is not an eating disorder. The intentions behind it decide what exactly is going on, and the term "starving yourself" makes it sounds like you're doing it intentionally, which would indicate some kind of disorder, although obviously no one here (me included) can diagnose you.

But sweetheart, not eating won't make people like you. I know life sucks and I know it hurts- but please, don't do this. Even if your eyes are blinded by sadness, depression- people love you. They do and it's true. Talk to anyone on this site and I can pretty much guarantee they'll say they care about you. You're human, you're worth so much more than sadness and one day, one day it will, as cliche as it sounds, go away. One day you'll be happy, and the first step towards that is to dodge this pothole. Don't make this mistake, you're evidently already hurting so bad, don't make yourself hurt more. I'm so sorry you're struggling right now, I truly am- and I wish, I wish I could make it better. But I can't. Only you can make it better, only you can fix yourself. Reach out, talk to someone. Let them know you're hurting, you deserve their support.

Hugs,

Laura x

Take as long as you need.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14 Points: 9,927, Level: 14

Re: Is starving yourself an Eating Disorder? - March 3rd 2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin. View Post
I'll start by answering your question: by itself, not eating is not a disorder. It's disordered eating (in the way it is not the normal thing to do) but alone it is not an eating disorder. The intentions behind it decide what exactly is going on, and the term "starving yourself" makes it sounds like you're doing it intentionally, which would indicate some kind of disorder, although obviously no one here (me included) can diagnose you.

But sweetheart, not eating won't make people like you. I know life sucks and I know it hurts- but please, don't do this. Even if your eyes are blinded by sadness, depression- people love you. They do and it's true. Talk to anyone on this site and I can pretty much guarantee they'll say they care about you. You're human, you're worth so much more than sadness and one day, one day it will, as cliche as it sounds, go away. One day you'll be happy, and the first step towards that is to dodge this pothole. Don't make this mistake, you're evidently already hurting so bad, don't make yourself hurt more. I'm so sorry you're struggling right now, I truly am- and I wish, I wish I could make it better. But I can't. Only you can make it better, only you can fix yourself. Reach out, talk to someone. Let them know you're hurting, you deserve their support.

Hugs,

Laura x
Thanks for replying.

At the meantime I began to eat again because a friend, who really means a lot to me, is worried about me because I told him what I do and did. He went through quite a rough time and still does, just like me and so we're helping eachother.
Closed Thread