TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

How to Help Friend with Bulimia - November 6th 2014, 01:54 AM

Hi All,

There is this girl I have been talking to that I went to high school with. She has been telling me she misses drugs because they made her happy and not herself which is a person that is afraid of her own voice. I told her that she doesn't need drugs and she told me that they make her feel what she is not.
Her main problem at the moment is that she is struggling with bulimia and purging several times a day. I want to be support for her but I'm several hours away, her family is not supportive (just got a message from her saying her dad told her that he hopes she dies from purging) and I'm not sure she has any friends in the area.
I'm not sure what to say to her or of any suggestions I can make that would help her. I think ultimately, she will need to leave her home in order to truly get better and fully recover from her issues.
Also, I suggested she get a job but I'm not sure she will do that because she got fired from her last job for using speed.
Any suggestions? I feel lost and I do not want to be unsupportive. I want her to know she has someone that cares and can relate to her in some ways (depression, cutting Etc.)

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: How to Help Friend with Bulimia - November 6th 2014, 02:57 AM

Hey there,

It sounds like the biggest thing you can do is be there to support her. Let her know that you are there and willing to listen. Sometimes when people are struggling with things like this they just need someone to listen. And, you said you don't think she has a lot of support so right now it might be a good thing that she has you.

Do you know if she has the ability to seek out counseling? If so then you should suggest that because that is always a really good option for someone struggling with things like this. She shouldn't have to deal with this alone and a counselor will be able to provide her some support close to home.

Something else that might be helpful is if she is able to find support groups in her area. There aren't any eating disorder support groups in my area but it couldn't hurt for you to google some for her area or have her google some. If she were to seek out counseling she might be able to get involved in a group through her counselor which could be beneficial.

Lastly, don't forget to take some time for yourself. While it is great that you want to help this friend you have to remember that your mental health matters as well. So, don't burn out.

I hope that this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
Closed Thread