TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldemort Offline
Touch My Deathstick
Average Joe

Name: Jade

Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15 Points: 10,904, Level: 15

Is this an Eating Disorder? - June 11th 2009, 05:26 PM

Well for the past 2 months I haven't eaten that much. When I look at food or smell it i feel sick and I when I try to eat food I generally throw up afterwards. I haven't forced myself to be sick I just feel like that when I eat food. I talked to my mum about it about a month ago and she said she feels the same way but I was being silly because I'm a healthy weight. My mum is underweight and dosen't eat much at all however she dosen't throw up as far as I know. My little brother is also underweight. I do see myself as fat and I am sort of obsessed with my weight. I keep setting myself targets like 'XXX stone my August' and things like that.

I was just wondering if this is classed as an eating disorder because my friends think it is. I don't know if it's all in my head either.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by ForeverAutumn*; June 11th 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Removing weight number.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: Is this an Eating Disorder? - June 12th 2009, 01:43 AM

Hi Maria-
Since we're not medical professionals, we can't diagnose you. But it sounds like you have some valid concerns. You are setting weight targets for yourself, see yourself as fat, feeling ill at the sight of food, and throw up after eating. Those are all disordered behaviors. To clear up a common misconception--an individual does NOT need to be underweight in order to have food or eating problems/disorders. In fact, most individuals with eating disorders are not underweight. I think the best thing you can do, Maria, is to let your friends and your mum help you. It IS possible to get to a place where you're not obsessed with food and weight, and you can have a healthy relationship with food. I, and many others, can promise you that.

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to PM me anytime. Take good care of yourself!
Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Closed Thread