TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aestai Offline
Average Joe

Name: Renee

Points: 10,306, Level: 14 Points: 10,306, Level: 14 Points: 10,306, Level: 14

Question Anorexia?? - July 20th 2011, 05:32 AM

What is considered anorexia??? Several of my friends are conserned and keep saying I'm anorexic and I don't believe them. I was just hoping for a clear deffinition of it, so if somebody could help me out, it would be much appreatted

"But all bubbles have a way of bursting or being deflated in the end." -Barry Gibb

http://aestia.deviantart.com/ <--- Please check out my art!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Anorexia?? - July 20th 2011, 05:54 AM

If I was to tell you the definition - I would be pretty much compying from wikipedia, so I will just post you with a link to some pages you might find useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa

http://www.adha.org/CE_courses/course8/table1.htm - that is the simplified version of the diagnostic criteria for anorexia.

If your friends are concerned, then you probably are showing signs of abnormal eating, while you may not be anorexic, you may still have disordered eating and this is still a huge problem. Don't feel embarrassed about this though - you should go and speak to someone, your school will have a guidance counsellor who will be more than happy to help you out!
Only you will know if your thoughts about food and yourself are not normal - and I think you know there is a problem or you would not have bothered to find this site and actually post!

I hope you can sort this out soon!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Anorexia?? - July 21st 2011, 08:43 PM

The links Emma provided for you are informational. I also advise looking at our article on eating disorders in the article section on Teen Help. As for your friends, don't worry about what they think. I would do some research on what anorexia is, and then decide whether or not you fit the description. If you think you do, then I would consider seeing a doctor. They can really help. Some people associate being thin with anorexia. But this is not the case, so be mindful of that. Take care.

Closed Thread