TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_soul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,931, Level: 14 Points: 9,931, Level: 14 Points: 9,931, Level: 14

Telling my Doctor? - April 15th 2013, 01:07 PM

So quick question: I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning. what I need to know is, will she tell my parents if I mention my self harm or is there confidentiality involved? (I'm 17 btw)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Telling my Doctor? - April 15th 2013, 02:17 PM

Hey there,

I know that from what I've heard from my school guidance counselor, in most cases professionals keep things confidential unless it's in the case of a minor where they are speaking of harming themselves or someone else. But, if you discuss it with your doctor she may keep it confidential if you are willing to speak to her about what is going on. I think that it would be very beneficial to you to speak with your doctor about the self harm because she can help you through it or give you ways to cope with what is going on. If she does have to tell your parents she can explain it in a way that makes it easy for your parents to understand so they know exactly what it is that is going on and allow your parents to ask questions. That's what they're there for after all! She will be able to help you out and therefore I think that the benefit of telling is worth it. As far as individual confidentiality she may have to tell since you are a minor, but again this is something that you would have to discuss with her. I know that I also have had therapists say they won't tell unless it gets bad.

I hope you do end up telling your doctor, as I think it can be really worth it!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
liddy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lydia

Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12

Re: Telling my Doctor? - April 15th 2013, 03:55 PM

no not unless you are a masssive danger to yourself
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Telling my Doctor? - April 23rd 2013, 12:28 PM

Hey!

Dez gave a lot of helpful information about your question so I just wanted to add that I think it'd be really great if you told your doctor. Having some support and help on the issue might really help you and you deserve that.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26

Re: Telling my Doctor? - April 23rd 2013, 05:59 PM

Hi there,

First of all, it's great that you're willing to tell your doctor about this! I think it could be very helpful.

As for telling your parents, like Dez said, a lot of professionals have a policy which allows them to break the confidentiality rule in the case of a minor who engages in self-harming behaviour. So, she might have to tell them. In the case that she does, don't worry too much about it. She'll be able to explain it to your parents in a way that they'll find it easier to understand. It might be hard for them to take at first, but I'm sure they'll be understanding about it.

I hope things work out, whether your parents are told or not. Take care.
Closed Thread