TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kittyhugs Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Points: 7,986, Level: 13 Points: 7,986, Level: 13 Points: 7,986, Level: 13

My anti-anxiety medication. - May 21st 2013, 10:14 PM

I was recently prescribed a drug called Paxil (Paroxetine) along with Klonopin (Clonazepam) for my anxiety disorder.

My question is: have any of you had an experiences with this drug? Or do you know someone who has taken it?

Lately I've been having a lot of panic attacks, more than usual for me, and they haven't been bad until I started taking the paxil. I've been on the paxil about three days now once a day and the klonopin five days twice a day, and everything has intensified.

I will admit, I am petrified of taking any kind of medication like this and I am going to a therapist that thinks it's due to my opinions and feelings towards the medication, however, I can't help but wonder if it is the medication causing this.

Last edited by PSY; May 23rd 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Moved thread to the Anxiety sub-forum.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: My anti-anxiety medication. - May 21st 2013, 10:56 PM

I have not taken Paxil, though it is quite the interesting drug. My psychiatrist was always hesitant to prescribe either Paxil or Effexor (Venlafaxine) because they are very difficult to stop taking (both cause physical withdrawal symptoms). I am now on Effexor 150mg and find that I cannot go more than a day without taking it. If I run out, I start getting nauseous, vomit, have a strange "rubbery" sensation in my skin, etc. That being said, it's the only drug that worked for my anxiety and depression. Have you been on other antidepressants before? Seems strange to start with Paxil.

Klonopin, on the other hand, is a commonly-prescribed benzodiazepine anti-anxiety sedative. It is long-acting and, for me, not as pleasant or effective as Xanax (Alprazolam). But it did help me sleep and took the edge off my anxiety.

Usually, a new SSRI antidepressant takes a few weeks to begin working, but side effects are present immediately. These side effects can be distressing and interpreted as a "worsening" of your condition. It usually gets much better with time. That said, if it's really bad I would talk to your doctor about another medication. For example, I took Zoloft for one day and had freaky homicidal thoughts. Not for me.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
kittyhugs Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Points: 7,986, Level: 13 Points: 7,986, Level: 13 Points: 7,986, Level: 13

Re: My anti-anxiety medication. - May 21st 2013, 11:04 PM

I was originally given citalopram by my GP, and I took it for a few days and started getting horrible side effects like heart palpitations and fainting, so then I went to a psychiatrist who said to take the paxil, but she didn't mention the withdrawal symptoms upon coming off of that medicine. :/

She told me that she gives paxil to the majority of her patients with severe anxiety.

I must admit though, this increased anxiety is terribly taxing.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: My anti-anxiety medication. - May 23rd 2013, 01:19 AM

I would give it a few weeks. While I haven't been on Paxil, i've been on Effexor, Klonopin, and Zoloft for my anxiety. I found that on all of these had the problem of intensifying as you said, my anxiety in the beginning as well as causing all kinds of other side-effects. However, after I hit the 2 or 3 week mark everything went away and all was fine.
I'd try and stick it out for a few weeks, if it doesn't improve then, then you may need to see your doctor to discuss whether this combination is right for you.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
Closed Thread