TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PurpleMoon Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Billie

Points: 12,687, Level: 16 Points: 12,687, Level: 16 Points: 12,687, Level: 16

Question How do I talk to my Doctor? - February 28th 2017, 08:37 PM

I’m struggling with being honest with my doctor. I got diagnosed with an Emotionally Unstable Personality disorder but I get bad paranoia and its gradually getting worse a few months ago, I was convinced that my mum was trying to kill me the more I thought about it the more ridiculous I felt about it and how stupid it sound, but it’s not the first time it’s happened and it wasn’t the most recent one. It’s like I convince myself that something bad is going to happen then wait in fear until it happens. I don’t know if it’s something that happens with a Personality Disorder but I’m not sure how to bring it up with my doctor. Do you have any advice?

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Memento mori - Remember you must die

Memento Vivere - Remember to live

Carpe diem - Seize the Day

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” -Andre Gide
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: How do I talk to my Doctor? - March 1st 2017, 12:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you've been getting paranoid about things, especially when they are scary. It's not nice, I know, but it's nothing to feel ridiculous about either.

Paranoia can be a symptom of many things, including personality disorders. I think when talking to your doctor, you can mention that you've noticed things have been getting worse for you, in particular paranoid thoughts. Perhaps your doctor can review any medication that you are on to help deal with the thoughts? Or suggest a therapy that might help?

Whatever happens, it's important that you tell your doctor that you are feeling worse because of the paranoia. All it means is that you may need more treatment or support and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
danh19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: daniel

Points: 3,999, Level: 9 Points: 3,999, Level: 9 Points: 3,999, Level: 9

Re: How do I talk to my Doctor? - March 2nd 2017, 09:10 PM

it is important that your are honest with your doctor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: How do I talk to my Doctor? - March 2nd 2017, 10:10 PM

Paranoia can be a symptom of Borderline Personality Disorder (the more common name for your diagnosis). My best advice is to be honest and upfront with your doctor as much as possible. It may help to write down your feelings when they happen. That way, when you talk to your doctor you can show them exactly how you were feeling in the moment. Often making notes "in the moment" can be very helpful to you both. The doctor will get a clear picture of your thoughts and feelings and you will be able to reflect on the moment later, when you feel more settled and calm.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: How do I talk to my Doctor? - March 3rd 2017, 09:07 PM

Hi

Thanks for reaching out to us here. I am glad you have come to us for some support with all this.

Having a diagnosis can be hard for some. I have this disorder too and have in the past struggled with psychosis and severe paranoia as a symtom of BPD.

Speaking to people about it can be hard, but it seems like you have now recognised this is a problem for you at the moment which is really positive. I see my GP and have been for nearly eight years now and he has helped me so much. Talking can be hard but if you take that one step it can also really help. I want to encourage you to speak about it so you can get the help and advice that may well help you manage the disorder. If you feel you can't sit there with your doctor and psychically say it, it might be worth trying to write it down and booking an appointment and taking the writing with you. Some people struggle to verbally express themselves and writing to the people involved in my care is something I used to do a lot and do sometimes from time to time still but I have become much more confident at verbally expressing myself (but I think this is due to have gaining trust in the people that support me). Do what ever works for you but remember you're not alone and people want to and can help you!

And remember you're always more than welcome to talk to us here too. You are never alone in this.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread