TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Seeing a doctor without a parent? - May 27th 2017, 02:21 AM

So my friend hasn't been living at home for about a week because of problems with her parents, and she's staying with my family right now. She's been sick for a couple of days with a fever and a sore throat and she thinks it might be strep, but she doesn't feel comfortable going home yet. Is it possible to take her to a doctor without involving her parents, or without her speaking directly to her parents?

I know this is a pretty specific question and I'm not sure if anyone will know this, but let me know if you happen to know or know how to find out! (I tried google but none of the answers I found really applied to the situation) Thanks

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Average Joe

Name: Fallon

Points: 6,996, Level: 12 Points: 6,996, Level: 12 Points: 6,996, Level: 12

Re: Seeing a doctor without a parent? - May 27th 2017, 03:50 AM

Around 16-17 I would start visiting the doctor without a parent but sometimes they would give me hassle for it and they would make me call my parents to get a verbal confirmation that I could be seen. So in some way or another, she or the doctor/nurse will need to talk with one of her parents at least over the phone to get the go ahead to treat their minor daughter. Though, laws may or may not be stricter than in the state that you live in.
I hope I could help!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Seeing a doctor without a parent? - May 27th 2017, 04:38 AM

I know where I live children (under 19) can consent and agree to medical care/treatment (and make the appointments without needing to discuss with your parents) if they are capable:

Quote:
When are children "capable"? The law considers children to be capable if they understand:

-the need for medical treatment
-what the treatment involves
-the benefits and risks of getting the treatment
-the benefits and risks of not getting the treatment
-If the doctor or other health care provider explains these things and decides that the child understands them, the care provider can treat the child without permission from the parents or guardians. The child may have to sign a consent form.

There's no set age when a child becomes "capable." Doctors must use their best judgment in each case to decide if the child is capable. It depends on how mature the child is and how serious the medical treatment is.
The doctor can't discuss the results or treatments of a capable individual unless that person has given permission.

I know that I could tell my doctor that I wanted something to remain confidential and it would unless it involved someone hurting me or me hurting myself (and a few other things). I've been to the doctor and the walk in clinic a few times when I was under 16 and it was kept confidential and they did not discuss it with my parents.

The best thing you can do is call her doctor and ask! Or if she is worried, she could check out a walk in clinic.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Seeing a doctor without a parent? - May 27th 2017, 08:23 AM

What I've seen work in the past, is if you can find any adult who's old enough to pass as a parent or grandparent or relative, and get that adult to bring the minor in and just act as if this is their kid, and sure maybe the kid has a different last name, but people get divorced and remarry, and families have aunts and uncles; just confidently act like this is my kid, I'm responsible for him/her, and more importantly (what they really care about), I'm the one paying for this visit, and here's the kids insurance information (if he has any insurance), and here's my credit card, and I'm obviously over 18, and they don't ask any questions.

Some places like Planned Parenthood you don't even need to be 18.
Closed Thread