TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

How do you know when you need to see a doctor? - December 9th 2009, 04:43 AM

These are probably stupid questions, but...

How do you know if you're depressed? And how do you know if it's time to see a doctor about it?

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,170, Level: 15 Points: 11,170, Level: 15 Points: 11,170, Level: 15

Re: How do you know when you need to see a doctor? - December 9th 2009, 04:56 AM

It's always hard to be completely sure because the 'symptoms' could be caused by other sicknesses and such but.. you will know when it gets really hard to wake up in the mornings knowing that you have to get through the rest of the day. When things you once found fun and interesting are suddenly the biggest bore. When nothing makes you smile the way it used to before. When even the littlest of actions wear you out. When you start doing harmful things to 'escape'. When you're always looking for some form of release. When you're left feeling really emotionally drained all the time. Sometimes, all you want to do is cry. And there isn't always a reason. If you're getting suicidal thoughts/hurting yourself or the people around you or feel as though your brain's about to explode with all the stress and anxiety, it is time to get yourself to a doctor immediately.

That said, you could go to the doctor as soon as you start feeling depressed. It's always better to get in early.. They do help you in their way and it will cut down on all those days/months of simply waiting for times to get 'bad enough'.

Hope this helps :/

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ShengXin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,953, Level: 13 Points: 8,953, Level: 13 Points: 8,953, Level: 13

Re: How do you know when you need to see a doctor? - December 9th 2009, 06:11 PM

^ Those symptoms are definitely ones to look out for

Also..

Strange sleeping patterns - sleeping much more or less than usual
Gaining/losing significant amounts of weight, or having issues with eating
Either wanting to cry all the time, or feeling empty
Not wanting to get out of bed or do anything
Stuff that used to be interesting isn't any more
Physically moving around slower
Feelings of low self-worth, disliking or even hating yourself

Normally an amount of these symptoms have to have been pretty much constant for two months I think it is? but even if you're not sure, go to the doctor, they do help it can be really scary at first but it'll get better from thereon in

Any thoughts at all about hurting yourself or others and go straight to your doctor, or call 999!!

Take care!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
OurLovesSublime Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,625, Level: 15 Points: 11,625, Level: 15 Points: 11,625, Level: 15

Re: How do you know when you need to see a doctor? - December 11th 2009, 07:55 PM

I was recently going through a rough patch where I really thought I was depressed. My symptoms were:

I was having overwhelming feelings of stress, loneliness, sadness, and anxiety. I felt like a horrible mother and wife, and was paranoid that my husband was going to leave me any day because I couldn't see why he would want to be with me. I barely had the energy to watch after my son, and would make my husband watch him pretty much every minute he was home. I just didn't feel like I could handle his fussiness anymore. I would cry over any and every little thing, and would get mad just as easily. Generally, I just didn't feel like the same person.

But after a couple weeks the feelings went away and I feel like I used too.

I think everyone can recognize their own symptoms of depression. If your weepy, emotional, exhausted, and basically just don't feel like you, your probably having symptoms of depression. I think its all just in how long those feelings last. If they've been there for a month or more and just don't seem like they are going to go away, I'd definitely see someone.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: How do you know when you need to see a doctor? - December 11th 2009, 08:43 PM

• Change in sleep pattern/s.
  • Hard time concentrating.
  • Feeling of hopelessness.
  • Can't control negative thoughts.
  • Change in appetite.
  • Irritability or short tempered.
  • Unexplained aches/pains
  • Loss of Interest
  • Self-loathing
Those were the ones I could think of at the top of my head. The most significant sign for me was thinking negatively and feeling long term sadness/hopelessness. If you can't seem to shake this feeling, then it's probably a good idea to see a doctor, because even if it's not depression there's most likely something going on.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread