TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Points: 15,253, Level: 18 Points: 15,253, Level: 18 Points: 15,253, Level: 18

Depression Pills for teens? [and how to ask your doctor?] - January 24th 2011, 11:55 PM

Most depression medications I have ever seem are not approved for teenagers/young adults. What medications can teens take for depression? Why are they different then other depression medications? What kind of dosage usually? How can I ask my doctor about this? Is there any non prescription depression pills that I could take? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just really curious about it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Depression Pills for teens? [and how to ask your doctor?] - January 25th 2011, 01:46 AM

They are approved for teens and young adults, they just can sometimes increase suicidal thoughts for them so doctors should make sure they are absolutely needed. Have you tried any therapy? It might help.

Member since 2005
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Morgan. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,633, Level: 14 Points: 9,633, Level: 14 Points: 9,633, Level: 14

Re: Depression Pills for teens? [and how to ask your doctor?] - January 25th 2011, 04:43 AM

I dont know for most of those question and the best way to ask your doctor is to just be streight up with him/her. Be like yea ive been depressed for _________ long, can you help me with this? He/she may give you medication or recomend you go see a psycologist or someone like that.

The Stars Are Allways There But We Miss Them In The Darkened Clouds. We Miss Them In The Storms. Tell Them To Remember Hope. We Have Hope.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17

Re: Depression Pills for teens? [and how to ask your doctor?] - January 25th 2011, 07:39 AM

Hello there, as someone said above, some of the antidepressants are known to cause problems (some severe) so they are prescribed with caution. Even then, teens and young adults are given the 'weaker' ones I believe rather than the ones intended for fully grown adults. There's no non prescription ones I can think of so I would advise going to a therapist to see if you get approved, which will allow you to get you're prescribed medications from a doctor. The dosage I'm not really sure so I don't want to give you false information. I do know it's taken with caution as overdoses can be harmful so expect few amounts.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Depression Pills for teens? [and how to ask your doctor?] - January 25th 2011, 11:57 AM

St.Johns Wort is a natural herb known to have some antidepressant properties and doesn't require a prescription. I would still recommend speaking to a psychiatrist though, your normal doctor can refer you.

Member since 2005
Closed Thread