TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Points: 18,934, Level: 19 Points: 18,934, Level: 19 Points: 18,934, Level: 19

Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 14th 2011, 10:49 AM

So at the moment I'm super tired ALL the time. Like I get up after 6 hours sleep (for the last few years I've been averaging 3/4 hours, 6 hours only started early this year but it's better) have breakfast and need to sleep for half an hour before work etc because I can barely stand / keep my eyes open. I often fall asleep on the bus on the way to work, and on the way home. I manage to keep awake for the 3 hours I'm at work, probably because I'm constantly active (work with kids). By the time I get home I often sleep a couple of hours in the afternoon, again because I have trouble keeping my eyes open, not because I choose to nap. Then I get 6 hours sleep again.

I had bloods taken by the doctor last week for this and some other stuff, but I don't get the results for a while and I'm struggling to function. I've tried caffeine, which I've been told is a bad idea but I can't function so I try anything right now. Thing is even if I have a heap of caffeine it doesn't help the tiredness, I just get really shaky. Like my eyes are still closing and I feel really drowsy, I'm just shaky as well.

How can I stay awake if caffeine won't help and sleep clearly isn't helping?? I have an assignment due tonight which I'll probably just about finish, but I have work etc and it's getting so hard to stay awake

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 14th 2011, 02:16 PM

Caffeine will make you jittery. That's part of the affects. To subdue some of the affects, drink water for every cup of caffeinated beverage you drink. Also eating something small with it can help quite a bit too.

Caffeine works in a funny way. It's supposed to wake us up. But what most people do not know is that it severely dehydrates us. So while we're drinking this drink that is supposed to energize us and make us alert, we're getting tired and jittery!

Again. Water. Drink water with it so you get the alert feeling without getting more tired and it will help a bit with the jitters. So, try that.

Also, water is supposed to be better at waking you up in the mornings. Try drinking more water, have a caffeinated beverage every other drink and try to eat a couple cookies or toast with it.

Tired all the time though, is the main issue here. I know you are not sleeping much at night, but then going through the day napping here and there will only make it worse. For one, your body feels like it has slept all day so it reacts like you have overslept (which makes you feel EXTREMELY tired and unable to function). Two, several naps during the day will make you sleep anyway. Your body never gets the chance to wake up.

The best thing you can do is to try and keep yourself up for an entire day, then at night you will be exhausted. Sleep. Do the same thing. It may take a week or two before you body gets back on schedule.

Hopefully your doctor will find something and help. Have you talked to them about falling asleep constantly?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 15th 2011, 02:07 PM

I have talked to the doctor about it, and he said he'd run tests alongside some others, but he "doubts it's anything serious". To be honest I doubt it too, I don't think it's some serious illness but it's still a problem for me ...
As for water, I drink around 2-3 litres a day already which is above what's recommended. I can try and drink more though.
I do my best not to nap, because I know how easy it easy to change sleeping patterns. But I physically can't stay awake through the day anymore. I find myself at my desk doing an assignment and the next thing I know I'm waking up with my face in my books.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 15th 2011, 03:47 PM

Hm. Try eating with the caffeine and see how that does. You might also try some tea. There are certain teas that have caffeine in them and are like coffee but without the jitters. Here is a site I love. Wonderful quality tea. It may look expensive but the tea lasts a long time if you do the recommended amounts. Mix and match to make flavors better, etc. All the qualities of coffee without jitters. Flavor is great and they have Rock Sugar which is healthy sweetener.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 15th 2011, 04:22 PM

Bryden, the answer here is pretty obvious: Do nothing (or do what you've already been doing), but don't so anything new or radical, not until you hear back from the doc. The real real issue is addressing the cause of the problem, not mask it by treating the symptoms with caffeine, etc. And since it's just a matter of time now until you get the results, I'd just struggle along with it, frankly.

There's something going on, btw and although your doc said it's 'not serious' that's based on a cursory examination and some reassurance to you. There are many things that can cause the exhaustion you're experiencing, it's not typical, and only a chemistry report on your bodily fluids can provide the answer here.

Hang in there, and wait the few days until proper diagnosis and treatment can happen.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 15th 2011, 11:50 PM

A lot of times, caffeine will affect my body (jitters) but not my mind at all. I've literally drank a double shot of espresso coffee, and been able to go to bed within that hour. You may have become partially immune to the caffeine if you've drank a lot of it in high quantities.

I would wait for the results of your doctor. I would also try sleeping more, and maybe if you can afford it, participating in a sleep study! There may be something going on with you not getting a restful amount of sleep. Good luck!

something burning?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 16th 2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah I wasn't looking for a cause or a long term treatment, just something to get me through these few days with work etc.
I'm not having anymore caffeine seeing as it's not helping, unless it's the small amounts in tea. Not until after I've seen the doc anyway. I was just seeing if anyone had any ideas other than caffeine that might help
I'll try what was suggested, thank-you guess this can be closed now. Thanks

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Caffeine doesn't work?? - October 16th 2011, 03:58 PM

Best of luck! Feel free to make a new thread with an update on what your doctor says.
Closed Thread