TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Asking Parents To Leave Doctor's Office - October 17th 2011, 09:20 PM

Title says it all really, I'm just wondering how to ask to speak to my doctor alone because I'm seeing him on Thursday and These last two times I have left out somewhat important information, that being that I have an eating disorder undiagnosed. I want to know if 1.) He could diagnose it or dismiss it and 2.) If it's causing some of these health issues. He knows about my depression and has me on antidepressants and it was clear how my weight affects me because after seeing it I cried so yeah... But I haven't been able to tell him about how I eat which is borderline if not entirely, that of an eating disorder. I need to tell him because it could explain a lot of my weight issues including why I'm over weight and then we could try to work through it. My parents know that I had an eating disorder but they basically ignore that it ever happened and don't really notice that I've relapsed.

I know it should be so easy but the way my parents are they'll get super paranoid and then be pissy with me and ask why all the time afterwards, but I want to talk with him alone so they don't know I'm relapsing because then they'll also find out I recently relapsed on SH and I cannot handle their emotions on that.

So how do I politely ask my parents to speak to my doctor privately, also would he tell them? He went over the privacy policy with me seeing as I'm a teen, but they tell your parents if they're afraid you are going to hurt yourself or others. Eating disorders are destructive to your body and therefore he might tell but I don't want him to. I mean I;m basically all over destructive when it comes to eating from eating very little to laxative abuse to just recently attempting to make myself throw up. But I absolutely do NOT want my parents to know.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: TJ

Points: 12,053, Level: 16 Points: 12,053, Level: 16 Points: 12,053, Level: 16

Re: Asking Parents To Leave Doctor's Office - October 17th 2011, 09:23 PM

A GP will not, and should not have even diagnosed you with depression or anti-depressants. He needs to refer you to a psychiatrist. Same goes for the ED. And as far as the ED is concerned, get into therapy.

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Asking Parents To Leave Doctor's Office - October 18th 2011, 01:35 AM

Whether her doctor should be diagnosing her with something or not is not the point. If you want to speak with your doctor alone I think you should be able to. If they ask, respectully explain that you're 15 and you would feel more comfortable discussing things with him privately. Whether he has to tell them or not depends on his policy which he's already discussed with you. Even if he has to tell them, that might be the best way for them to find out anyway, because if you continue engaging in it it's not like you can hide it forever. Try not to let your fear keep you from getting the help that you know you need and want at some level. I know it's hard, I hid my depression for 10 years and i really wish I hadn't.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Asking Parents To Leave Doctor's Office - October 18th 2011, 03:20 AM

Well Idk on the whole should he or should he not be but he has and it's not really against the law or anything in any case, I think I'll do what you suggested Kate.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
Closed Thread