TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kylie cleveland

Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12

Question medication?? - December 26th 2011, 08:26 PM

My counselor gave me a recommendation for anti depressants.... I'm nervous to start them but excited to get rid of the anxiety and the depression and the ptsd.... Do you feel different?? How do they work?? Should I be aware of anything?? Should I expect any changes?? Ah I don't know.....
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25

Re: medication?? - December 27th 2011, 05:15 AM

It really depends on what kind of meds they are. The main thing to remember, though, is that medication is not a cureall. It's not like when you start taking them all your problems will magically disappear and you'll feel well again. I had one of my psychiatrists once tell me that they were more of a crutch--you use it to prop you up until you feel good enough to walk on your own. They're meant to be used alongside regular therapy appointments and the like. When I first started on Citralopram (which is an antidepressant) I assumed it would instantly make me feel better. That obviously didn't happen and I was right pissed off. I was like, 'Why am I wasting my money on these things if they're not even working?' But they do work, eventually. You start to be able to take a step back and look objectively at a situation that's upsetting you instead of letting your emotions take over. It's a really great and positive thing. Soon you'll be able to do it all the time and you won't need your medication anymore.

Every kind of medication has it's own side effects. If I knew what kind you were taking then I could find a list of said side effects, but I don't have that information. When you do get them, you can google the name of the pills and you should be able to find a list of side effects quite easily as well as more information regarding how the medication itself works.

Again, though, and I really can't stress this enough: medication is meant to be used alongside therapy. Make sure you keep in touch with your doctor or psychiatrist about how the pills are working for you. If you start getting extremely suicidal thoughts out of the blue--as this is a rare side effect of some drugs--then you need to inform someone immediately. There are many different kinds of pills out there so if one isn't working for you, try another. Most pills tend to take effects a month or more after you begin taking them, depending on the strength and amount of the prescription. I hope this helps and I'm always around if you need to talk.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kylie cleveland

Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12

Re: medication?? - December 27th 2011, 07:57 AM

Thank you and it definitely helps
Closed Thread