TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sinner Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,531, Level: 13 Points: 8,531, Level: 13 Points: 8,531, Level: 13

What can my doctor tell my parents? - December 28th 2011, 10:11 PM

I'm sixteen, and I went to the doctor the other day to get checked for a UTI. She asked all the usual questions, and I told her I was sexually active, how many partners I've had, etc. etc.
Afterwards, she started talking about how I need to be on birth control and stuff, and ran a pregnancy test. It came back negative, but she rescheduled me for an appointment next week for a female exam and another pregnancy test.
My parents are extremely religious, and think I'm the epitome of wholesomeness. They don't know I'm having sex. They don't even know I've had a boyfriend. My mother is getting really suspicious about all of this, and is demanding to go back with me when I get the exam and tests taken care of. I told her it was a checkup on the UTI, and the exam is something they do regularly for teenage girls. Well, she keeps saying she doesn't know why it would be necessary to have it done, since I'm only a teenager, etc. etc.
If she goes back there with me after the tests and exams, what is the doctor allowed to tell her? If I do have something, or am pregnant, will the doctor tell my mom, or tell me first? And how can I get on birth control without my mother finding out all of this?

Tumblr has my heart
http://sunshinesoffspring.tumblr.com/
I follow back <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: What can my doctor tell my parents? - December 28th 2011, 10:37 PM

The doctor can't tell your mother anything without YOUR permission. There is something called patient/doctor confidentiality. They take this oath when they become doctors, and if they break it, are putting themselves at risk for losing their licenses to practice medicine.

I can understand your mother being curious, and you did the right thing by explaining this exam is normal amongst teenage girls. I had my first pap test done when I was 16. Of course, it's more common once you turn 21, but since you're sexually active, these tests need to be done.

If any of the tests being performed come up positive (say for pregnancy or an STD) the doctor will tell YOU first. You are their patient, your mother is not. You're old enough to take responsibility for yourself health wise. Your mother isn't even allowed in the room when the tests are performed. If they are, you could always ask your mom for some privacy.

Over all, you have nothing to worry about. Once those test results come back, it would be up to you to tell them about it, not the doctor. As I said, they could lose their license for breaking that patient/doctor confidentiality. Even if your mother asked, they couldn't give out information about you without your written consent first.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14

Re: What can my doctor tell my parents? - December 28th 2011, 10:43 PM

Your doctor cant tell your mom anything without asking you first. But I wouldn't keep this from your parents for much longer, eventually they're going to find out how long its been going on and they're going to be more mad about the fact that you never told them. They wont be mad forever, and if you talk it out with them calmly, they will be surprised by your level of maturity.

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17

Re: What can my doctor tell my parents? - December 29th 2011, 03:31 AM

The doctor shouldn't be able tell your parent's anything without your permission. So you shouldn't worry about that too much. But it is really hard to hide taking birth control and it would be good to be on birth control if you are sexually active and only 16. It would be best to try and talk with your mom about it and not keep it a secret much longer because if you did all of a sudden end up pregnant it would be a way bigger and worse shock for her to find out that when she didn't even know you were having sex in the first place.
Closed Thread