TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Skin picking - July 17th 2020, 06:02 AM

Does anyone have suggestions on what helps to cope or prevent this?

When I am stressed (I think), I pick my lips. I pick them to the point of bleeding and developing painful cracks.

I'm picking them a lot right now. I think it's the worst I've done and usually when I get to a certain point I stop, they heal and then it starts again.

I'm on zoloft to help with my anxiety and I know SSRI's can help with OCD.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,388, Level: 46 Points: 107,388, Level: 46 Points: 107,388, Level: 46

Re: Skin picking - July 17th 2020, 09:41 AM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. When you are getting the feeling to do this try to keep your hands busy. For example grabbing a stress ball or fidget spinner and use that. Or if you can draw something or use your computer or start playing with your pets. When you grab something to use it will keep your hands off of your face.

You can also try using lip balm and calling a friend or family member and just talk about what is going on and hopefully that feeling goes away. If that doesn't work then try stepping away from the area that you are in and grab a book or listen to music or go for a walk. I hope that you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Skin picking - July 18th 2020, 06:45 PM

I compulsively bite my lips. Have for a long time. I find wearing chapstick helps. It soothes the inflamed tissue and reminds me that it feels better not to pick. I don't know if that helps or not because it sounds like you pick with your fingers but it might.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Skin picking - July 20th 2020, 02:27 AM

Big same. I don't pick the skin on my lips, but I do on other places. I agree with having your hands busy. I have to be doing something I can kind of get myself pretty involved in because it's a distraction and if I'm doing something, I can't pick. My friends and family also point it out sometimes.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
watkinsyvonne99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,105, Level: 5 Points: 1,105, Level: 5 Points: 1,105, Level: 5

Re: Skin picking - August 18th 2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Does anyone have suggestions on what helps to cope or prevent this?

When I am stressed (I think), I pick my lips. I pick them to the point of bleeding and developing painful cracks.

I'm picking them a lot right now. I think it's the worst I've done and usually when I get to a certain point I stop, they heal and then it starts again.

I'm on zoloft to help with my anxiety and I know SSRI's can help with OCD.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
HI! If you want to know how to get out from skin picking anxiety, you will first have to understand why it happens. The reason that someone suffers from this condition is that they have an anxiety disorder that is constantly on the surface. The fear of being judged by others, the fear of being rejected by others, the fear of not being accepted by other people, the fear of being left alone, and the fear of being rejected by others. When you have a lot of these feelings going on in your life, it can become very easy to pick at certain things. This can happen with people who are in certain situations, like at work, at school, at home, or even during your social interactions with other people.
If you have been picking at people's skin, because they don't look quite right, it may be a sign that they don't look very happy, and this will make them very uncomfortable, so much that it can be hard to think straight. They can be afraid to interact with other people, since they are so scared of being laughed at. Their mind starts racing all the time, and they just can't focus. You can tell when someone is anxious or nervous because they are always worried about something, or they just seem like they are not comfortable in front of you. You will notice them focusing on one spot in their body, like their nose, and they may pick at certain things with their fingers. Sometimes it is something that is obvious, but other times, they may pick at their face or even their hair.
How to get out from skin picking anxiety is to let go of the fear of being ridiculed. You have to learn that it is perfectly normal, and you should not feel embarrassed about this. You need to learn to not be embarrassed, because being embarrassed is never good for you, especially when you have these deep-seated fears. You need to learn to be open with your anxiety, because it is something that will help you deal with other issues that you might be facing in your life, when you deal with skin picking anxiety. It is not worth it to deal with skin picking anxiety only to find that you are in more pain and suffering, because you are not able to deal with other issues, like you normally would. When you deal with your skin picking anxiety, it can lead to other problems. Hopefully it will help
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Skin picking - August 18th 2020, 05:50 PM

I would say maybe try flavored chap stick? I know I tend to pick my lips when they are dry and I'm anxious. So if you keep chap stick with you and put it on every time you go to pick your lips it may help.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Skin picking - August 19th 2020, 02:52 AM

Hi there,

I have this habit too. I agree with the above users that using a flavoured lip balm or chapstick helps. Because the lips tend to get slippery, it becomes harder to bite it.

If you feel you're getting stressed over something, it helps to take a short break from whatever you're at and turn your attention to something else that will make you feel calmer. That might in turn assist with preventing you from biting your lips.

Good luck!

Closed Thread