TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,459, Level: 20 Points: 20,459, Level: 20 Points: 20,459, Level: 20

Smile Dieting to an addiction? - January 16th 2011, 10:42 AM

Since the start of this month my family decided to go on a diet. I did it how they wanted to do it for about a week, then I started going by own way about it. I started looking in the mirror, and all I could see was fat and started saying to myself that everyone will hate me if I am fat and now I am really desperate to become thin and 'pretty'. I look at girls that 'thinspire' me, some of the celebrities I see look so great and perfect, and I just want to be like them. As the days have gone by I've been eating less, but when I have eaten quite a lot, I would exercise it off immediately afterwards. It's becoming an addiction.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I should do?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16 Points: 13,399, Level: 16

Re: Dieting to an addiction? - January 16th 2011, 02:26 PM

Right now I'm guessing you have an EDNOS which basically means you've got a disorder in your eating habits but it doesn't fit anorexia or bulimia. First thing to do would be trying to shift your focus onto other non-aesthetic areas of your life, which is most of your life. Looks are not important enough that you should be crying over them. I bet you don't pick your friends by how they look. I bet you don't love your family for how they look. I bet you don't hate the people you hate for how they look. Most jobs are not about looks. There is no box for pretty or not pretty on a college application. That being said, you actually are really pretty. But that's not all you are or all you should strive to be. Think about how an ED (which will progress into something more detrimental if you let it) will affect your life. They take up all your focus. They take away all your energy. They make you paranoid about hiding it. They mess you up. Don't let them. Sometimes when I feel I'm being too obsessive with my figure I'll write this on the mirror "There's more to life than 'skinny.' My weight does not define me." Lame I know but it helps some.

Just Keep Breathing
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
p_fine Offline
p_fine
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,178, Level: 13 Points: 8,178, Level: 13 Points: 8,178, Level: 13

Re: Dieting to an addiction? - January 16th 2011, 09:54 PM

Hello Fauzia

I really admire you for sharing your concerns about your desire to be thin. It is so easy to compare yourself to other people. Remember: thin is not pretty and can be so dangerous for your body! I strongly suggest you seek help from your doctor or a close friend so you can share your thoughts with those nearest to you. ED's are so interfering - if you can help it, try and ignore the desire to do as "it says".

Take care xx
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Millarw12 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,090, Level: 14 Points: 10,090, Level: 14 Points: 10,090, Level: 14

Re: Dieting to an addiction? - January 18th 2011, 11:18 AM

Look i know how it feels to look in the mirror and all you can see is fat. I constantly battle this every morning. What I've tricked myself into doing is checking my BMI, and i try to stay around middle to lower-middle range of a healthy BMI, because that IS the healthy weight to be. I also confront myself in the mirror every now and again after i get out of the shower. I stare at myself and battle the thoughts like "You fat ugly cow" and "You are disgusting, look at all that fat around your tummy and thighs!" and i counter act them by picking out parts of my body i actually like, no matter how small/weird/insignificant it still helps. I usually start from my head and work my way down choosing parts of my body I like or am comfortable with. For example i really like my shoulders and that general area, and my lips and eyes.
Basically you have trained yourself into this state, and if you really want it you can escape it by re-training your mind. There is no easy way out, its a long process but if you want it, you can achieve it!

I hope this helps at all, good luck!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Dieting to an addiction? - January 21st 2011, 06:24 AM

The celebrities you see who are stick thin most likely have Anorexia. Now let me tell you Anorexia is NOT perfect. Anorexia doesn't allow you to have a life, it doesn't allow for friends and fun and it doesn't allow you to concentrate on anything other than food. You pretty much have to say goodbye to your friends, social life and grades and any hope of a good career.
Anorexia doesn't make you a perfect person. You are only as perfect as you feel, and can only be perfect in your own eyes. And I can tell you know when you are anorexic, you never feel perfect. Anorexia is not beautiful, its a horrible nasty, often FATAL illness. No one wins with anorexia anyway, you either gain weight...or die. What a waste of a life trying to lose weight, only to die and not be recognised as stick thin, or gain weight...and still not be recognised as stick thin!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15

Re: Dieting to an addiction? - January 22nd 2011, 04:49 PM

awwh hunny Lex, i think you're beautiful and dont let anyone tell you different <3
PM me if you need anything okk?? or facebook me. either or works !

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'
Closed Thread