TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13 Points: 8,451, Level: 13

Unhappy Alcohol abuse - January 2nd 2017, 02:10 AM

I have been abusing alcohol for the past couple months and its just gettin for worse and worse. When I drink I usually end up doing something I regret (ex: drunk texting a guy) and when I first started drinking I didn't get bad hangovers. I'd been a little tired and a little sad but now I wake up with bad headaches and I feel nauchous because I drink so much. I usually regret drinking the next morning because of how awful I feel but I start to feel numb if I don't have access to alcohol for a while. I think my self esteem has a lot to do with it, i like myself better when I'm drunk. I'm scared that this is just going to keep escalating and I don't know what to do or who to talk to.

-GoLauren
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15

Re: Alcohol abuse - January 2nd 2017, 09:54 AM

Hi Lauren.

Many people embrace the social liberation alcohol seems to bring, especially when you have low self esteem, it softens those experiences and brings your confidence up. Key thing to remember is that's all it's doing, it's still you in there, saying those things, doing that stuff just with a little push. Your drinking is a symptom to your larger self esteem issue, to kick the drinking you need to start looking at how you deal with the bigger issue at hand.

Alcohol notoriously destroys self confidence so you're going to find yourself in an up and down cycle as the two things work against each other.

Next time you feel like having a drink take a few minutes and consider why and what the alternative is. Keep a record of these thoughts and look for trends in triggers and alternative solutions. Avoid the situations that set of these feelings.

A few times a month take a blind leap at things that could distract you from drinking and bolster your self confidence, I'm sure people elsewhere in the forum could give you some decent ideas on how to best do this... Main thing that helped me build confidence was basically the knowledge is power notion. I found things I loved and I crafted away until I was a knowledge in the area. I then felt I could enter any social situation and have anything to passionately and exhaustively talk about. But that's one of a million things you could do.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26

Re: Alcohol abuse - January 3rd 2017, 02:28 AM

Hey there. When I use to drink...that is exactly why I would. I liked how I felt while intoxicated. I felt like a "fun" person. Now that I am sober, I like myself even more than I did. And, my worst days sober...are still way better than my best days drunk. Before you pick up a drink, try to imagine how you would feel the next day and see if you can stop drinking on your own...a day...two...three, without a drink. Let your body detox, won't be easy, but the result of it, is amazing. If you are still struggling, I highly suggest you find a local AA meeting. Because, you said you do stupid things drunk, my only real worry about that, is eventually getting to that point where you do something really bad, while drunk. It is totally awkward at first to attend a meeting, but from my experience, it helps a lot. You don't have to talk, but at least go listen to what others have to say about alcohol abuse. Give it a go and see how it goes.
xx

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: Alcohol abuse - January 3rd 2017, 07:17 AM

AA meetings are wonderful places where you can make friends and find that sense of belonging. You can feel a part of a group, and feel accepted, and that commradery becomes an alternative to alcohol. There may also be an AA group for teens. (I forget what they're called. I want to say Al-Ateen, but I think that's for teens who have a family member or friend who has a problem with alcohol. You can go to that group too.) Anyway try different AA groups, see if you find one you like. There's also Celebrate Recovery groups which is AA with a sprinkle of Christianity. Or a local Unitarian church may have their own form of AA with less God. Find a group you like and you may find the drinking takes care of itself. (In the meantime, don't drive if you've been drinking.)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Alcohol abuse - January 7th 2017, 09:58 AM

Hey

Thanks for coming to us here for some help with this!

I want to share my experience with you. I am an alcoholic. I had to go into hospital for detox twice which was very hard and I was drinking so much then when I went on detox, I had a fit. I know people who have died from alcoholism. Its so very dangerous. And like you, I began to like the person I was when I did get drunk, until it became more of an escape and while there was a high at first, I always crashed which resulted in my acting on self destructive behaviours.

You are not alone in this. I know drinking feels like the best thing to do, but you need to find who you really are without alcohol. Because there is someone in you. Someone who can be free and exist and you do not need alcohol to show that but this way might be a little bit harder.

I know AA meetings have been mentioned and I go to one every week and have done for a good year and half now. They are like my second family there. It gives us all a space to talk about the horrible or brilliant week we have had and to receive and give help and support. Do you feel this is something you feel you could look into?

And I just wanted to say, if you ever want to talk about it or need help, you can post back here but you can also always message me whenever. You are never alone in this and people will fight with you by your side for as long as you need them too; like us.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread