TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Andrew* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,706, Level: 11 Points: 5,706, Level: 11 Points: 5,706, Level: 11

How to tell my parents? - April 26th 2014, 06:39 AM

Well, I haven't self harmed in a couple months and I think it's safe to say that I'm done. So to reward myself for being able to stop, I was planning on getting a tattoo on my wrist that symbolizes recovery from self harm. Normally I wouldn't worry about people asking about it. I would just tell them my story, but since it's gonna be on my wrist my parents are most likely going to ask about it. I'm 18 and still living at home (for now, until college starts) and I don't want to try super hard to hide it. How do I tell them that I used to self harm? I know that they'll be upset, but I'm not worried about that because I know that they'll still love me as I am. What I'm worried about is that they'll think that it's their fault even thought it wasn't. How do I bring it up without them blaming themselves? Thanks for any responses
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14

Re: How to tell my parents? - April 26th 2014, 07:56 AM

Ok, Im not sure if this will help, but this is my experience.
When I SHed back in the day, my parents noticed the scars. They were all over my right hand and relatively visible. The problem is, when they noticed, they were enraged. Threatened me to leave me in a mental hospital because they didnt raise a psycho and threatning to send me away to another family. They took the blades and got me grounded for a month for both PC and going out. Then my sister found out and nearly "disbrothered me". She said if I continue she will stop talking to me (not that we talked before that really) and that she will tell all of my friends what I did so they hate me too. Thats when the connection with my family broke. Now were just strangers living in the same house.
But yeah... xD If i could i could go back and not SH or do SOMETHING to prevent them seeing the scars but fuck it life is a bitch...
So yeah... My parents are usually somewhat supportive but when they saw the scars all hell broke loose.
If you think your parents are supportive go ahead. If you dont... Agh, I wouldnt recommend it. I wouldnt want anyone to have the shit i had and for it to affect them...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to tell my parents? - April 26th 2014, 01:46 PM

Hi there, and to TH!

It's good that you were able to stop self-harming and I'm glad that you want to tell your parents! Parents tend to have a spur of the moment reaction sometimes, but it is better if it comes from you rather than someone else. Keep in mind that your parents won't be angry at you, but angry at the situation that you were in as you're their child and they don't want to see you in such pain. They'll probably need some time to think after you tell them about this. You can tell them in person by saying something as, "My tattoo symbolizes the recovery of something I've been through" and go from there. You could also start out with the smaller stuff and work your way up to self-harm. If you're uncomfortable talking to them face to face, you have the option of writing a note or typing up an email so you can collect all of the thoughts that you want to include. Lastly, it might help if you print off some information about self-harm so your parents can educate themselves.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14

Re: How to tell my parents? - April 28th 2014, 06:38 PM

Thats some pretty helpfull stuff. Why the hell didnt I do that? I just told them that i SHed without any reason when they saw the scars and almost got thrown out of the house (literally)

Yeah OP, get some literature and a tattoo deisgn and stuff so they see you gave a lot of thought to it...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12

Re: How to tell my parents? - April 28th 2014, 06:41 PM

Hi

Good to hear that you gave up SH.You parents will surely feel upset when you will tell them,but I guess they will be allright when they will come to know that you are allright now.So I see no harm in telling them about it.
Closed Thread