TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gres Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,472, Level: 10 Points: 5,472, Level: 10 Points: 5,472, Level: 10

Unhappy Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 23rd 2014, 07:32 AM

Hello guys, this is my first time using a forum like this.

Basically, I turn 18 in a month, and my parents have not done anything to teach me how to drive.
I'm a really good student in school and I'm supposed to start college by Fall 2015. I'm very worried that if I don't learn how to drive, I'll have no way to get to college, and It's important for me to go to college.
I've asked them since I was 15 and they never wanted to do anything about.
Does anyone have advice?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 23rd 2014, 10:27 AM

You're old enough to do things yourself. Instead of waiting for your parents to do things for you, actively persue them.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Your_Friend Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ibrahim aka Ibiii

Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12 Points: 7,829, Level: 12

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 23rd 2014, 02:48 PM

Hi. I think you should convince them that you are eligible to drive. I think they may be worried that you may be able to drive well or not as accidents are quite common these days. I am 16 and some of my friends drive cars too. But when I ask my parents about it, they say that accidents are very common. So I think you should talk and convince your parents that you are above 18 and you can drive properly
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 23rd 2014, 04:03 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure what country you're in but in the UK parents very rarely play an active part in teaching their children to drive. Most people get driving lessons with a certified instructor. Perhaps that's something you could speak to your parents about and ask if they'd be able to pay for the lessons or use your own money from Christmas, birthday etc.

Also, if you're worried about college and not being able to drive there then you could just live on campus so you won't be far away from it and I'm sure a lot of colleges provide transport like buses for their students too.

I hope this helped, take care
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 24th 2014, 06:31 AM

Maybe keep asking them to take you out for a drive. You can ask them to take you to a quiet street where there is minimal traffic so you can reduce the risk of an accident.
You can also look for driving instructors to help you practice your driving.
For college, you can look at the best public transport route you can take or alternatively, you can live on campus.
Hope this helped.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11 Points: 6,606, Level: 11

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 24th 2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
You're old enough to do things yourself. Instead of waiting for your parents to do things for you, actively persue them.
I think you've missed the point.When you get your license (at least from where I am), you get given a logbook and are expected to be instructed on how to drive by a guardian or parent. In NSW, it's 120 hours on your Learner plates and you can then go for your Provisional License 1 when you're 17 and you pass the test. I thankfully got mine on my birthday this July but half the time I received lessons from a driving instructor and think OP should do the same, for a few times just to get a feel of the car and know the fundamentals then after that OP should ask his parents whenever they are available to go for a 45 minute cruise in a minimally packed area a few times a week.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 24th 2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaved1 View Post

I think you've missed the point.When you get your license (at least from where I am), you get given a logbook and are expected to be instructed on how to drive by a guardian or parent. In NSW, it's 120 hours on your Learner plates and you can then go for your Provisional License 1 when you're 17 and you pass the test. I thankfully got mine on my birthday this July but half the time I received lessons from a driving instructor and think OP should do the same, for a few times just to get a feel of the car and know the fundamentals then after that OP should ask his parents whenever they are available to go for a 45 minute cruise in a minimally packed area a few times a week.
I appreciate it may be 'expected' that your parents teach you but I wasn't aware that was the law? You could surely accure those driving hours fully through driving lessons. Please let me know if that's wrong though. As Deadpool has touched on, in the UK you can take your driving test without evidencing your road hours.

The AA says "There is no set figure for the cost of learning to drive, as it varies according to the number of lessons required and the location. As a rough guide; the Driving Standards Agency research shows that the average person will need at least 47 hours of lessons and 22 hours of private practice before they pass their test." I didn't do any private practice myself as the insurance costs were phenomenal. I think if I were in OP's shoes I would have a couple of lessons, show your parents you're capable and then press for private practice.

My point to the OP is that if his parents are not willing to support him, then he/she should make efforts to fund private lessons.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 26th 2014, 02:02 AM

You should look into your local laws. In my state, you have to log so many hours and instructors are expensive, however after you turn 18 you don't need as many hours and you can have a non-relative as your instructor. I don't think they actually check the hours. Look into your
Closed Thread