TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21 Points: 21,487, Level: 21

Parents - January 3rd 2015, 10:50 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

It's literally 3:30 in the morning right now and both my parents are watching tv super Loud that even when I turn on my music I still can't sleep. It's literaly driving me insane. I know for a fact if I go out there and ask for them to turn it down they will get upset and mad. But it's 3:30 on the morning I just want to sleep honestly who doesn't. This added with my insomnia already isn't helping. The worst part is they will wake up and complain I'm still asleep. I'm so frustrated I don't know how to handle any of it and so much is building inside of me. Exhaustion plus anger and frustration I know this will not end well. I just don't know what to do and it's going to push me over the edge for some reason. And I've already started getting to the point where my SH urges come in and I want to cut but don't so I end ip hitting myself. I just want to sleep that's all really -__-

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: Parents - January 3rd 2015, 11:50 AM

Hey there,

I'm sorry that you can't get to sleep :/ Why is it that your parents will be mad at you for asking them to turn down the tv at 3 in the morning?

And if this is a regular thing, and you don't see it getting any better, maybe you could invest in some earbuds that could, if not get rid of the noise, reduce it.

But for now, I guess you could try distracting yourself with other things or maybe just read a book till you fall asleep :/

PM me if you need anything!

Kyra
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Parents - January 3rd 2015, 10:30 PM

Hey there,

This sounds like a difficult situation to be in because it doesn't seem as though there is a resolution. You said you can't ask your parents to turn the tv down because they will get mad. Are you positive that they will get mad if you ask them to turn the television down? If you really can't ask them to turn it down maybe you could do something to try and drown out the noise? There are some high tech ear buds out there that might really help you drown out the noise. It might also help if you find a way to deal with the anger and frustration you are feeling. I know that anger was a really big stressor for my self harm and it wasn't until I started dealing with that anger that I was able to work on overcoming my self harm.

I hope this helped in some way and if you need anything feel free to message me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12

Re: Parents - January 16th 2015, 03:43 PM

I'm sorry this is happening. I can understand that it is not easy.

I agree with the others - Why will they get mad if you kindly ask them to turn the TV down? They have to understand that their daughter needs to sleep and get up the next morning to function.

For the meantime, maybe invest in noise cancelling headphones. There's some decent ones for $20-$30 at Target or Walmart. Shut your door and use headphones, that's the best I can think of.

Can you go to bed before they start watching late night TV? If they're watching TV at 3am, maybe try heading to bed earlier to beat them, by falling asleep. For insomnia, try shutting off all electronics an hour before you want to fall asleep. Grab a book, draw, write in a notebook, or sit back and listen to calming music in that hour to help you calm. That way you'll be up earlier in the morning so they won't say anything about that. I guess it's all about finding a way to work around their noise for now until you move out some day.

I feel your frustration because I've been in a similar situation. There's a lot of noise during the day and it's hard to concentrate on homework. I got some headphones and turn my music up and it helps me. I also try to do my homework before anyone gets home. It was hard at first but I got used to it and kind of happy to get my work out of the way earlier

All the best!
Closed Thread