TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Points: 11,009, Level: 15 Points: 11,009, Level: 15 Points: 11,009, Level: 15

My friends parents - May 15th 2015, 02:26 AM

I've known one of my best friends since freshman year. And since I've known her, I've known of her strict parents. And when I say strict, I really mean immature and insane. They ground her and take her phone away for dumb reason such as she left her papers out or didn't clean up. Once, they wouldn't let her see her boyfriend for like three months because she left a board game out. I mean, wouldn't a simple "Don't do it again" have sufficed?

So, the whole point of this thread is because I believe her parents have gone to far at this point and now it effects me.

Here's the back story. Originally, she got into her dream college that was commutable from where she lived. But then she informed me that it's too expensive and now she's going to the no so commutable state school I'm going to. Since we were going to the same school we thought it would be cool to be roommates! We planned out how it was gonna work and it was great. But yesterday she informed me that her parents don't want her to live away because they don't think she mature enough. And if she disobeys them and goes, they'll cut her off and won't pay any tuition or her phone bill anymore. They want her to commute but the thing is, you can't. It's possible, but an incredible hassle. She'd have to wake up at like 4am every day, take the bus to the subway station, take the subway to the commuter rail station, get off many stations away, and then wait for the school shuttle that only runs once an hour to get there by her first class at probably 7 or 8. And then do it all again to go home. It's ridiculous and I'm not sure her parents don't know how much of a hassle it is.

We talked yesterday and I offered for her to bring her parents to my house so her parents and mine could talk about this civilly. Because her parents are more likely to listen to other parents than their own kid. She said it probably wouldn't change anything. Her parents are pretty stubborn.

I think her parents crossed the line at this point. This is more than grounding her or scolding her. This is controlling her life imo. If she doesn't get the experience of living on her own now, when will she? I want to do something and make this work out in the least rudest way possible. What can I do to try to change her parents mind? I would love her as a roommate and I want her to live there so she wouldn't have to struggle everyday with the transportation.

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11

Re: My friends parents - May 15th 2015, 04:54 PM

I definitely agree that it sounds as if your friend's parents are too controlling, especially now that their behavior is placing such a roadblock in their daughter's life.

I think your offer to discuss the situation along with your parents is a good one. Other than that, I'm not sure I have many other suggestions, as it sounds as if her parents are quite stubborn and set in their ways. I hope everything works out.
Closed Thread