TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,229, Level: 9 Points: 4,229, Level: 9 Points: 4,229, Level: 9

My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 14th 2016, 10:09 PM

Recently, in my dwelling, my parents have been a little bit dirtbag-wish.
There are plenty of M games out there, but my parents give a 'no' to every single one, just because there is the letter M in the bottom right corner of the box.
I have heard that ESRB ratings are quite inaccurate, and I agree. My parents think they know everything, and my dad has created a stereotype about M rated games because of the stuff in Halo 3 (He no longer plays it, only video game he's ever played within my lifetime). I have a 4-year-old brother, and I feel the ban may have to do with his prying eyes. I have wanted to play Warframe (Steam), but even with the bargain of turning gore off, my dad kept making excuses as to why not. I was very frustrated. I want to be able to play M rated games, (exclude ones with nudity and stuff, completely uninterested in those things), so what can I do?. I'm 13 at the time of this posting.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 15th 2016, 06:43 AM

That can be very frustrating cuz there are so many good M rated games out there! I think you should try having a conversation with ur parents about it and trying showing them some of the milder M rated games. You should show your parents you are mature enough to play these because this may be why they won't let you
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 15th 2016, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the inquiry. First off, if my parents caught me playing an M rated game, they would ground me for like a month+. Secondly, my parents think of me like I am 3 or something, but it might be worthwhile to get some evidence to show them that not all M rated games are 'evil'.
Thanks, though.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 15th 2016, 06:07 PM

I definitely would not go behind their backs to buy any. First, you would need a way to purchase them online since most stores ID for M games and more than likely you do not have your own bank or credit card. And even if you did, your parents probably monitor it. So it's very likely you'd get caught. There's a reason most M games are rated M, and I understand them not wanting you to play them yet. You've heard that the ratings aren't accurate and you agree, however you haven't had access to M rated games.

The specific game you're talking about has online interactions, perhaps this is the reason your parents don't want you playing it. It also seems as though the rating was T at one point but later changed, you could explain this to them and have them look into it. You could try sitting down with them to calmly talk about why they feel you aren't ready to play M rated games, what specific topics they're worried about. I do think ratings should be considered on an individual basis, but parents should also have some experience with the game so they know exactly why it received that rating. Maybe you can ask your dad to check games out for you before hand, however this would most likely involve buying the game without knowing if they want you playing it.

I think the only thing you can do is try to talk to your parents and if they still think you aren't ready for M games then wait until you are.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 16th 2016, 05:31 AM

They aren't being "dirtbags," they are being your parents and are just looking out for you. Games rated M are for ages 17 and up, which is four years older than you currently are. I know you feel mature enough to play these games, but try and see things from your parents point of view. There are still plenty of games you can play that aren't rated M. I wouldn't go behind their back to play those games; instead, show they you are mature and perhaps they will let you play them sooner than you think.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 16th 2016, 01:43 PM

Eumoirous, I mean no offense to them, although there is some more that happens behind the curtains of this post. If you were me, you'd understand.

Arterial Rainbow, I have in fact played a few M rated games, and I do know the content and extremity of them. I have explained to them that blood, gore, etc., can be turned off, but this apparently makes no difference to them. When these things are turned off, the game seems like it would be rated T, not M
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 16th 2016, 03:53 PM

That doesn't mean every M game is the same. I've played many, and some definitely are more mild than others. However it does seem like the game you mentioned specifically should be an exception. Maybe try to find a reputable site that explains why it was changed to M, and explains the feature of turning off the gore.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 4,821, Level: 10 Points: 4,821, Level: 10 Points: 4,821, Level: 10

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 16th 2016, 07:28 PM

Bro, you're 13. The way you called them dirtbag-ish shows that you are a 13 year old who lacks consistent maturity. You can talk with them, but that won't make a difference if you act like a whiny kid when he doesn't get what he wants. Trust me, I wanted to play M games when I was 13 too. I get it. I would have loved to play ghost recon future soldier. But I wasn't mature enough just yet. I can play m games now because I grew up a bit and my mom saw that. There are plenty of games that you can play now.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 17th 2016, 03:58 PM

HelpPlease, you are not me. You do not understand my life, understand why I would use that term, nor am I a whiny immature kid. Maybe I shouldn't have used that term to describe them, but you dont need to flame me over it.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
HardcoreTS Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,185, Level: 9 Points: 4,185, Level: 9 Points: 4,185, Level: 9

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 17th 2016, 09:14 PM

Hey, it can be tough sometimes. Just wait till your in college. then your good and you can do what you want. JK I know you mean short-term. As stated above by someone else, talk with your parents about it and nomatter what, DO NOT GET ANGRY. You need to behave like an Adult even when adults do not behave so.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 19th 2016, 01:16 AM

HardcoreTS, that's a good point. Only a few more years ��!
And thanks for not continuing the ridiculousness about a single word in my original post.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Rez Offline
2spooky4u
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Points: 5,405, Level: 10 Points: 5,405, Level: 10 Points: 5,405, Level: 10

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 19th 2016, 03:19 AM

I mean, it's understandable where your parents are coming from. My parents didn't even let me play T rated games until I was 12 and then M rated until I was 15 (I'm 17 now). They don't want you exposed to all the gore, violence, etc that the M rated games entail. The easiest way to get past this is, well, to bargain with them. That's how I got to be able to play any game I wanted. Now, my parents couldn't give less of a shit on what I play. A lot of the times video games influence actions in everyday life, and they don't want these games to consume you entirely. Your parents have a reasonable concern, but if you really want to play these games, you need to show them that you are mature for your age (I'm NOT implying that you are immature, just saying more maturity helps) and maybe that will sway their decision. Hope this helps!
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15 Points: 10,960, Level: 15

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 19th 2016, 04:43 PM

Actually I'm with your parents here. If I were them I would do exactly the same thing (though I would probably straight out tell you no instead of letting you wait) You're 13 and M rating means you gotta at least be 17. Sure, ratings can be inaccurate but still, that's a 4 year difference and whoever rated that game had a reason to rate it as M. It may not be very apparent to you as you haven't been able to play that game you are talking about yet.
Not saying you need to wait till you are 17 to play M rated games, but it depends on how mature your parents think you are. If they think you can handle it they will probably allow it until then all you can do is wait.
Getting the game behind their backs would probably convince them of the oppisit so you definitely should not do that!
Also yes, maybe it has something to do with your brother. I wouldn't want someone to play games like that around a 4 year old. That's simply no good.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
NightTerror6 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 21st 2016, 02:23 PM

I see your point. I would turn off mature content, but my brother might still be a problem. I don't really think he cares about what I'm playing or is heavily affected by it, but my parents don't seem to render to that fact. I do although appreciate all the input over this matter.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 21st 2016, 05:29 PM

Do you think you could play the M-rated games while he is napping or out of the house? That way, you and your parents don't have to worry about him seeing things he shouldn't see.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Samuel Offline
Sam
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Points: 5,077, Level: 10 Points: 5,077, Level: 10 Points: 5,077, Level: 10

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 21st 2016, 10:56 PM

Would your parents let you go se a movie that's rather "R"?
And why do you think people can't understand you or your life?
I'm sure you aren't the first person to experience this kind of problem with their parents, or pretty much any other type of problem with parents.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: My Parents and M-Rated Games - May 22nd 2016, 02:18 AM

First of all you are too young to play rated M games. You are thirteen years old those games are for 17 plus. Just like rated R movies. edited. I don't think you really understand why they don't want you playing. You are just assuming it's because of your brother but I think it's because of your age. I would sit down with your parents and ask them to explain why they don't want you to play. And try and understand what they are saying. And ask yourself would you let your kids who are under the age play an M rated game? I know I wouldn't.

edited I understand perfectly you are just a mad teenager that thinks he's miss understood and your parents don't understand you. Trust me they do they were thirteen one too.

I'm sorry but the truth hurts sometimes.

Last edited by Ennui.; May 23rd 2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: All users should be treated with respect. :)
Closed Thread