TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - October 29th 2017, 06:56 AM

So, for Thanksgiving I usually make the green beam casserole and the the candied Yams. I do this every year and I'd like to try something new. I'm wondering if anyone has any go to recipes that they could share?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - October 29th 2017, 09:12 AM

My family doesn’t really do traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We usually have a variety of dishes because of various reasons.

We typically do:
-mashed potatoes (plain), we also typically do hutspot (mashed carrot and onions with potatoes) or boerenkool stamppot (mashed with kale and then we top it with a veggie sausage that we cook in a pan). Sometimes we’ll use cauliflower in place of potato.
-pasta (pumpkin gnocchi, traditional gnocchi OR ravioli (cheese, vegan, pumpkin)
-salads: This year we had a warm cranberry salad and a warm brussels sprout salad, pomegranate spinach salad or endive salad and then a regular salad
-stuffed squash (quinoa, kale, peppers, ect) or stuffed mushrooms
-stuffing, not very much though because only a few people in my family actually like it lol
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - October 29th 2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smultroställe. View Post
My family doesn’t really do traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We usually have a variety of dishes because of various reasons.

We typically do:
-mashed potatoes (plain), we also typically do hutspot (mashed carrot and onions with potatoes) or boerenkool stamppot (mashed with kale and then we top it with a veggie sausage that we cook in a pan). Sometimes we’ll use cauliflower in place of potato.
-pasta (pumpkin gnocchi, traditional gnocchi OR ravioli (cheese, vegan, pumpkin)
-salads: This year we had a warm cranberry salad and a warm brussels sprout salad, pomegranate spinach salad or endive salad and then a regular salad
-stuffed squash (quinoa, kale, peppers, ect) or stuffed mushrooms
-stuffing, not very much though because only a few people in my family actually like it lol
Are the stuffed squash or mushroom easy too make? Could I find a recipe online? I like both mushrooms and squash and that might be something I'd like to try.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - October 29th 2017, 07:03 PM

This is pretty close to my family's go to recipe for every holiday because it's sooo good. We leave out the butter and sometimes replace to cornflake topping with French's fried onions and it will also work with cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228220/cheesy-hash-browns/

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - October 29th 2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
This is pretty close to my family's go to recipe for every holiday because it's sooo good. We leave out the butter and sometimes replace to cornflake topping with French's fried onions and it will also work with cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228220/cheesy-hash-browns/
That sounds delicious! I think I might end up doing that and a veggie side dish of some kind.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Malcharion Offline
Here's to the fools who dream
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,200, Level: 11 Points: 6,200, Level: 11 Points: 6,200, Level: 11

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - November 6th 2017, 03:05 AM

This is a bit unconventional, but Chinese flatbread goes really well with turkey(and is quite easy to make). This recipe seems fairly legit: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-duck-pancakes.

For additional filling, we usually also make shredded potato with chiles and vinegar(you can add carrots, too): https://food52.com/recipes/24969-tudou-si affil=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_ca mpaign=Food52.com&company=digidip&website=5835937,
as well as various shredded raw or lightly boiled vegetables.

In any case, if you don't want to go the full Peking Duck route, the flatbread goes just as well with typical Thanksgiving food.

You could also try making a borscht, maybe? Perfect for the fall and fits right in with more traditional Thanksgiving dishes. I recommend making a separate beef stew first, letting that sit overnight, and only then starting the final product, instead of making the borscht all in one go. Not the most efficient way, to be fair, but I find that this makes the flavor much more intense.

What news from the West, O wandering wind, do you
bring to me tonight?
Have you seen Boromir the Tall by moon or by starlight?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - November 12th 2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcharion View Post
This is a bit unconventional, but Chinese flatbread goes really well with turkey(and is quite easy to make). This recipe seems fairly legit: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-duck-pancakes.

For additional filling, we usually also make shredded potato with chiles and vinegar(you can add carrots, too): https://food52.com/recipes/24969-tudou-si affil=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_ca mpaign=Food52.com&company=digidip&website=5835937,
as well as various shredded raw or lightly boiled vegetables.

In any case, if you don't want to go the full Peking Duck route, the flatbread goes just as well with typical Thanksgiving food.

You could also try making a borscht, maybe? Perfect for the fall and fits right in with more traditional Thanksgiving dishes. I recommend making a separate beef stew first, letting that sit overnight, and only then starting the final product, instead of making the borscht all in one go. Not the most efficient way, to be fair, but I find that this makes the flavor much more intense.
Thank you for the suggestions! This sounds pretty good and I might consider trying it out.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
daisy_jam Offline
< < • > >
Average Joe

Name: Delwen

Points: 13,527, Level: 16 Points: 13,527, Level: 16 Points: 13,527, Level: 16

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - November 12th 2017, 10:41 AM

I don't celebrate thanksgiving here in Australia but a couple of people I know are American and they're all vegans and they always make cinnamon maple syrup coated butternut squash and they roast it. It's always smells amazing.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - November 12th 2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
I don't celebrate thanksgiving here in Australia but a couple of people I know are American and they're all vegans and they always make cinnamon maple syrup coated butternut squash and they roast it. It's always smells amazing.
I actually found a recipe that was called that...although, this recipe was not vegan. It does sound good, overall though, and I have been thinking about making it. I have talked to my dad about it though and he thinks that my Yams are really good so I have to convince him to let me make something different.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
caterina123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caterina Smith

Points: 3,230, Level: 8 Points: 3,230, Level: 8 Points: 3,230, Level: 8

Re: Any Thanksgiving recipe suggestions? - November 14th 2017, 07:07 AM

I am interested too.
Closed Thread