TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Tapwater Filter jugs - January 10th 2021, 02:02 PM

Or filters plumbed into your drinking water mains supply?

Despite where we live, the drinking water quality had deteriorated awfully, so much that a light scum appears on top of the tea in our glass teapot. And this scum doesn't help but mar the otherwise lighter brown-colour of our favoured Assam, Darjeeling or Chinese Yunnan. And then I bought a well known water filter jug that takes plug-in filter modules.

The difference is not only clear, but the taste of the tea is exactly as it should be. Don't ever even think of drinking French tap water. It's gross. That is why most drink bottled mineral water such as Evian. The same applies to Greece though it was a long time ago we went to Kos on vacation. And the trip we took to Italy yielded nothing but awful tap water. A journey to a supermarket with a borrowed sack trolley got me several heavy packs of mineral water, only for it to fur up the kettle with its chalk. Next time if we ever venture out to Genoa, we'll take a filter jug.

A water filter vastly improves the taste of tea and coffee. Do you use a water filter?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 10th 2021, 03:03 PM

I've always been curious to try water filters but never have. Good to know that they help improve the taste of tea and coffee. I don't mind drinking our tap water though but definitely can't beat bottled water!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 10th 2021, 09:28 PM

Celyn, much as bottled mineral water tastes wonderful compared to tap water, it isn't good for making tea because its calcium will build up in your kettle and transfer any scum straight to a hot beverage or a pot of tea. This is why a jug with a filter plugged in is best: For making tea, coffee, even when used in an essential oil diffuser, the latter smelling much purer.

When visiting the UK we used water filters from Lidl, but found them no way as effective as Brita, though Brita was expensive it lasted us 3 months, far outweighing the cost of bottled mineral water which is atrociously expensive.

Evian, incidentally, is pumped from south-east France in the Pyrenees mountains, but is very cheap when bought in bulk from a French hypermarket (hence my sack troley!) ...And you may be interested to know that the Belu brand is sourced in Powys, mid-Wales and only sold in the UK, is also a lovely drink when chilled straight from the fridge and lots cheaper than Evian

Out of principal we will not buy Italian San Pellegrino as it's owned by Nestlé. We dislike that company as it has swallowed up smaller firms unable to maintain their pricing. Acqua Optima is another keenly priced water filter. That will remove tap water scum and yield a lovely cuppa, morning and evening.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 11th 2021, 12:19 AM

I have a well and get water through the fridge for the most part. There's a filter in the fridge that gets changed every so often. Another family member has a filter pitcher that they use, but they live in the city and have city water.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 11th 2021, 08:22 AM

I don't use one as I usually drink tap water.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 11th 2021, 01:08 PM

We have medium tap water so it's not too bad but during the summer, it tastes quite funky. We used to have a couple of Brita filter jugs but we put them away and ended up being misplaced.

During the first lockdown last year, the water actually started tasting so plastic-y that I couldn't bear to have a cup of tea, or anything water related. The smell and taste of it was so overpowering. When I googled the issue, apparently it was because of the fact everybody was at home drawing water from the water supply, and the chlorine hadn't had time to dissipate properly, hence the weird taste and smell.

In the end we installed a water filter directly into our pipes. It was an absolute saviour for me in the summer because it cleared up all of that weird taste and smell immediately.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Skye16 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Skye

Points: 1,292, Level: 5 Points: 1,292, Level: 5 Points: 1,292, Level: 5

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 12th 2021, 07:23 AM

The tap water here is good. It's clean and doesn't have a bad taste. We have our personal underground water supply with filters in the pipes which purifies the already clean water. The ground water supply is good and we have never faced drought.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PestHit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 798, Level: 4 Points: 798, Level: 4 Points: 798, Level: 4

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 21st 2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I've always been curious to try water filters but never have. Good to know that they help improve the taste of tea and coffee. I don't mind drinking our tap water though but definitely can't beat bottled water!
I agree..........
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
millytexas Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 772, Level: 4 Points: 772, Level: 4 Points: 772, Level: 4

Re: Tapwater Filter jugs - January 25th 2021, 12:02 PM

yeah! tab water is good. I mostly used the tab water washing cloths
Closed Thread