TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death, Grieving and Coping With Loss Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alonealways Offline
^.^
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Points: 11,691, Level: 15 Points: 11,691, Level: 15 Points: 11,691, Level: 15

Cousin Grieving and I'm unsure how to help.. - January 3rd 2010, 06:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm really really not sure this is in the right section but my cousin recently experienced a death in the family (unrelated to me..) and I want to help him so bad but distance prevents me from physically being there for him and due to money issues/travel issues/ time issues/ and all that.. I can't go visit him to be there for him.

He's not acting like himself though and I want to help him but I have no idea what to say to him and everytime I do say something that I think will help he just says "thanks" or "haha thanks" and I'm not quite sure it's helping. If he keeps saying that do I let it drop? I tried to go onto another conversation but he didn't want to and at first he didn't want to talk about it at all but he opened up a little. Plus if this conversation ends.. and I go to talk to him another time, can I ask how he's doing without bringing him up or should I just start a normal conversation or I'm so confused and in so much pain for him. He was really close to his grandfather and he saw the body and he thought the body was going to be covered..

What do I say? I feel so miserable. I told him he could call me or text me or whatever and he said thanks but I still feel so bad..
I don't know what to do.. the only thing I can do is sit here and try to help him and be there for him right?? That feels so incredibly wrong!! Please help..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: Cousin Grieving and I'm unsure how to help.. - January 4th 2010, 01:12 AM

Hey,

I'm sure it's so hard sitting by while he is grieving so much. Unfortunately, it IS like you said--to an extent, you need to sit there and wait until he's ready. Grief isn't uniform and it can take many different pathways and avenues. Sometimes a person might want to talk, other times they don't. They might cry, or they might laugh. It's very unpredictable. So the most important thing is that he knows you're there for him--which, thanks to your wonderful caring self, he does know. And it can't hurt to remind him of that periodically, but other than that, follow his lead. If he's joking around, go with it. If he isn't talking about it, don't push it. When he is ready, he'll know you're there. And in the meantime, you're doing the best thing for him.

Remember to take care of yourself, too! If this is affecting you a lot, don't hesitate to reach out to someone.

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16

Re: Cousin Grieving and I'm unsure how to help.. - January 6th 2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Hey,

I'm sure it's so hard sitting by while he is grieving so much. Unfortunately, it IS like you said--to an extent, you need to sit there and wait until he's ready. Grief isn't uniform and it can take many different pathways and avenues. Sometimes a person might want to talk, other times they don't. They might cry, or they might laugh. It's very unpredictable. So the most important thing is that he knows you're there for him--which, thanks to your wonderful caring self, he does know. And it can't hurt to remind him of that periodically, but other than that, follow his lead. If he's joking around, go with it. If he isn't talking about it, don't push it. When he is ready, he'll know you're there. And in the meantime, you're doing the best thing for him.

Remember to take care of yourself, too! If this is affecting you a lot, don't hesitate to reach out to someone.

<3
What needed to be said has been said by Jen and it has been said well. But be strong young one.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
alonealways Offline
^.^
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Points: 11,691, Level: 15 Points: 11,691, Level: 15 Points: 11,691, Level: 15

Re: Cousin Grieving and I'm unsure how to help.. - January 7th 2010, 12:27 AM

Thank you both for the advice, he is doing pretty good.. hangin' in there. I still feel so bad for him.

Closed Thread