TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gagirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,321, Level: 9 Points: 4,321, Level: 9 Points: 4,321, Level: 9

Exclamation Anxiety/OCD or just bisexual? - March 24th 2016, 09:59 PM

Hey guys!
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post. I have been having a really tough time lately. About a year ago, my brother made a comment about me looking like a lesbian with my new haircut. After the fact I started stressing about liking girls. For months It went on and I constantly worried if i liked girls or not, but I was in a long term relationship with my boyfriend at the time who i loved dearly. I started noticing girls and focusing my attention to the things about them. I would stress about potentially liking them and I feel like that in turn made me notice every little thing. I would feel uncomfortable if i saw girls in revealing clothes and i would get worked up over it. Eventually, the thought somewhat diminished and I didnt worry about it or really think about it. But, now its back. I tell myself that although I notice other girls beauty I wouldnt want to be with one in a romantic setting, and could never imagine being romantic with a girl. I dont ever "fantasize" about girls and cant see a life with one. But then another parts of me thinks I am in denial and that when i get uncomfortable seeing other girls its really a cue that i am attracted to them in a romantic way. Any help? I know it sounds crazy and at this point I do not know what else to do!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacob

Points: 4,793, Level: 10 Points: 4,793, Level: 10 Points: 4,793, Level: 10

Re: Anxiety/OCD or just bisexual? - March 25th 2016, 09:45 PM

Nope it doesn't sound crazy-I am going through the exact same thing and have talked to dozens of others with it as well. So, let me try to help.

First of all, some people use OCD as an excuse to hide or push away their gay feelings. Whatever you do, don't do that, as that's only going to make you more miserable. I recommend seeing a counselor or a psychiatrist to determine if it is possible you medically have OCD. Or you can self diagnose yourself by looking at symptoms. Questioning your sexual or gender identity is one, forcing yourself to do research on them is another. I suggest googling "HOCD" and looking at the symptoms to determine how similar in a situation. The defining characteristic of OCD is, however, the tics called "complusions"-where you have to turn the lights on and off three times when you leave the room or walk around in a circle whenever somebody says the word "pineapple" (that is an actual example unfortunately ). Now, you don't have to have the tics to have HOCD, but having them makes the latter situation more likely.

Now, really, I see there are 2 reasons you are stressing about it:
A. You thought you were straight all your life, so having these constant thoughts alienates you because there is literally no way. Or,
B. These thoughts make too much sense and you are using OCD to deny your true feelings (which is something I did-it is a natural response).
However, I would assume, because you have a boyfriend that you care romantically for, that you would be the first group, but only you can decide that.

Remember the difference between sexual or romantic orientation. Whether you are straight, gay, bi, or ace depends on who you want to have sex with. If you picture yourself having sex with another women, how would you feel? If it sounds disgusting, you are definently not gay and probably not bi. Also, remember, being feminine or butch has nothing to do with sexual orientation and are just stereotypes. Romantic orientation is who you would feel comfortable dating, and is closely correlated with sexual orientation but not quite the same. Would you feel comfortable dating a women? If so, you MIGHT be bi, but the way you describe it, it is highly unlikely.

BUT do not stress about the labels or labeling yourself as gay, bi, or straight. Most importantly, do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you really do not want to be bi, don't force yourself to be.

Now, HOCD can force you to start having sex dreams about women or force you to stare at other women and maybe even force you to get aroused. Remember this means nothing (unless you don't have HOCD), and is just your brain playing tricks on you.

Not to scare you, but there is a rare chance your HOCD reveals true feelings, like for me. But for you, it seems once again highly unlikely, but only you can decide that.

To cure HOCD, I still recommended seeing a psychologist or counseler (or both) to help you through this and to maybe prescribe medication, if it is financially possible, of course. Another thing that helps is to simply accept the fact the you might be bisexual and move on. I also recommend reading bisexual coming out stories online to see if you find anything in common, but remember DO NOT OBSESS. I know that is going to be hard, but constantly reading up online and reading forums like this might only stress yourself out more. I suggest limiting yourself to twice a week you can go online for stuff like this.

I am obviously no doctor, but I know what your going through. If you need anything, just ask. And sorry for the long post btw. I wish you good luck and remember you are going to get through this.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,274, Level: 9 Points: 4,274, Level: 9 Points: 4,274, Level: 9

Re: Anxiety/OCD or just bisexual? - March 29th 2016, 12:04 PM

just bisexual
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 15,936, Level: 18 Points: 15,936, Level: 18 Points: 15,936, Level: 18

Re: Anxiety/OCD or just bisexual? - April 4th 2016, 12:17 PM

As a gay person, I can say that you are feeling self-conscious about liking girls. Your brother told you you looked like a lesbian, but how you look doesnt define you as a bisexual or lesbian whatsoever. There's nothing to worry about because if you don't see yourself with a woman at all, it's doesn't define you as being lesbian. Though, I find it not so abnormal for a person to have a little gay in them, I believe you shouldnt worry about liking girls, especially if you love your boyfriend and are happy with him I hope that helps and hope you work your feelings out!

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Closed Thread