TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I've been here a while

Name: Calaer

Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20 Points: 20,292, Level: 20

Slight anxiety about the holidays. - December 5th 2016, 03:31 PM

I love Christmas, and this year is no different. It's truly my favorite time of year! I love the smells and the lights, and I love the fact that this time of year, all the family travels to be together. Sadly, this year, I'm slightly anxious about seeing some of my family. I want to go see my Mamaw (My 'mothers' mom) because she is alone now, and most of the time her children forget her on the holidays, but I'm super nervous that Tammy (My birth mother) will show up. I just really don't want that woman around my daughter, nor do I want to have a full on blow up because I tell her to stay away. I always want to respect my Mamaw's wishes, and she loves her children, even if they are horrible to her, and she does want to see them, and wants them to be around, but I have the hardest time not taking up for her when they say rude and hurtful things, or when they great her like garbage for no reason at all.

I'm not really sure what to do, but I'm getting slightly nervous about it. I know that I could always talk to my Mamaw about it before hand, and let her know that I want to be with her during this holiday season, but that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to "bite my tongue" so to speak, towards them being rude and hateful to her, and see what she says. She honestly just might ask me to stay home then, which would truly break my heart. I love my Mamaw, dearly, and I truly don't want her to be alone or mistreated. The Holidays are always hard on her without my Papaw around. He used to take her driving to see the lights, and eat dinner with her, and buy her gifts, and since he is gone, all of these things are simply memories now. These are things that I'd love to do with her, but it's always so hard to get her to come, because she is in hopes that her children will choose to do something with her.

Anyway, I just really needed to get this out. I love this time of year, but all this with my family is starting to weigh me down. I have no idea what to do. Thanks for letting me rant about it. Happy Holidays!!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Slight anxiety about the holidays. - December 5th 2016, 04:26 PM

I think talking to her about it might be a good idea. I also think maybe seeing if she wants to do some of those activities you listed could be helpful as well. Maybe she will agree to go see lights or something of that nature. In reality it can't hurt to ask her. If she says no then maybe you can visit her for a few hours one day close to Christmas.

I can understand not being able to hold your tongue when they are being rude to her. I think that I would be the same way.

I doubt this helped much but I think your instinct to talk to her about this was a good one.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Slight anxiety about the holidays. - December 7th 2016, 01:06 AM

It sounds like the two of you have a good relationship, so talking to her about how you're feeling might help a little bit.

Do the people in your family plan when they'll be around? If so, you could visit a little earlier or later than everyone else. Even if you're not there right around Christmas, it's still the holiday season and you can celebrate at a different time.

Maybe you can make plan of what to do if people start mistreating other people. If you feel frustrated, maybe you can take your daughter to a store, or for a walk to get out for a little bit. Or, if you're really uncomfortable, you can consider returning home and starting some new traditions with your daughter.

I hope things go well for you.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread