TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Help with anxiety - June 13th 2019, 12:09 PM

How should I cope with my extreme anxiety when the situation that's causing it ... isn't one I can get out of immediately.

There's a lot of stress at work; I am dealing with mentors who are not that helpful and are quite rude. It's a really dehumanizing situation and I doubt my boss will do much about it. I have a boss who puts a ton of stress on us and she has high expectations. It's really difficult. I dread every conference. I dread going work every single day and I get extreme anxiety about it. Sometimes I end up getting sick due to the anxiety either migraines or stomach problems etc.

I can't quit my job. I talked to my fiancee and we've discussed me quitting in March once we are married so I can be put on his medical insurance. However, I don't know that I can do that. I don't know that I can be reliant on someone. I know there's a possibility of getting a new job, I am even in the process of getting ready to interview for a position but it could take time. I am hoping to hear about the interview sometime within the next week but this particular department can sometimes take months.

I need some suggestions on how to cope with the anxiety and stress. The stress increases the anxiety. The way I am treated in my unit increases my anxiety.

When I am at work I listen to music or audio books to ease the anxiety. When I come home I will listen to audiobooks at time but the anxiety is still debilitating and sometimes I end up staying in bed because I can't do much else.

I don't enjoy weekends. I get Friday night and some of Saturday to not feel anxious but my Saturday night I am anxious and Sunday is worse.

I don't want to be like this but the main solution of hoping a new job would be better...is not something that can happen right now.I have to wait and hope my interviews go well or hope that in March I feel capable of quitting a relying on D.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Help with anxiety - June 25th 2019, 03:58 PM

Hey,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this right now. I also have anxiety and have been in some stressful jobs, so I know how much that can wear you down.

Sometimes, even when you can't change the situation, you can do little things to help improve it. I'm glad to hear that you've been listening to your music and audio books - I find music really helpful myself! I know it can be hard to unwind when you get home, though, which is something that I have also struggled with.

What about practicing some self-care? Sometimes taking a warm bath or putting some lotion on helps me. What kinds of things do you find soothing? Although it's hard, I would recommend trying to stay active - even if you're doing something small. When you're stuck in bed, it's extremely easy to start ruminating, which will only exacerbate your anxiety. (I've definitely been there, trust me!) You could do something simple, like putting on some clean pajamas or making yourself a nice meal. Basically, do something nice for yourself that makes you feel good.

You can also use part of your evenings to help prepare for the next day, if that's not too stressful for you. Since you're already stressed out about work, try to minimize or eliminate other stressors in your daily life as much as possible. Is there something you could the night before to help your morning routine go a little bit more smoothly? Are your clothes laid out? Is your lunch packed, if you bring a lunch? I've found that doing these things the night before and being prepared for the next day really helps to lessen my anxiety.

In terms of dealing with the treatment at work, remember to just do your best. I know how unsatisfying that is, but when these anxious thoughts come up, try to remind yourself that you just have to do your best, that you don't deserve this treatment, and that this is all temporary. Even though you might not be able to change the situation immediately, it WILL change, and you are already taking steps to change it. Maybe you could write some affirmations down on a piece of paper or some sticky notes to have at work to remind yourself.

I hope this helps at least a little bit!

All the best,
Kylie
Closed Thread