TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

College is stressful as hell - November 27th 2021, 05:59 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]So, finals for me are coming up in a few weeks and I have six classes, and I have a D or D+ in like half of them. And I don’t know if my college is a pass/no pass college, and I’m not even sure if my college considers a D a passing grade, and I’m kind of stressing out a bit, because my parents are helping me pay for college and if I don’t get my shit together and they find out they will lose their shit and when they get angry at me, especially for grades it’s kind of scary. I’ve kind of been telling them i have all As and Bs because if I don’t, they’d get super pissed at me.
So, if I can’t get my grade up by the end of the semester I’m fucked, but I don’t know if I can get it up to a good spot in time. It’s my own stupid fault and I understand that, I just needed to vent because i just realized it and I hate it and I'm going to try my best to fix it but I just don't know if I can. I'm mad at myself cause i know this is on me, and I just needed to vent. Thanks for reading[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Re: College is stressful as hell - November 27th 2021, 06:30 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Oh, and also, I can't just drop out or anything, because I'm not making enough to live on my own, I have nowhere to go, there is no way in hell i'm living with my parents if they do, and I don't have any talents or anything where I can really use. So essentially, I'm screwed that way too. And I don't really want to drop out anyways.[/size][/color][/font]
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: College is stressful as hell - November 29th 2021, 10:51 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TeenHelp to share how you feel. Your experience is completely valid and something many college students go through all around the world.

I did decently well in college and so I can share some study tips with you. You still have some weeks till your finals. Having 6 classes is quite a normal load for a college student. In other words, improving your grades is still very much possible. You are capable of it, if not you wouldn’t be in college. Right now it is going to be just about priorities, so I suggest doing the following:

1) Prioritise your studies over other commitments till your finals. If you’re involved in extra-curricular activities, you might want to withdraw from them for the time being (you can always go back to them after your finals; they’re important too!).

2) Know what is required of you. Prepare an Excel or Google sheet and note down each of your classes on one column. In the next, note down the type of assessment required for each class. For example, does a final for one class require you to write essays? Or is it an MCQ? The reason you can do this is to allow you to focus on precisely what is required. For example, if a final requires you to answer only 2 out of 3 questions asked, you can save revision time by studying a few selected topics instead of the entire curriculum. If it's an MCQ, you probably have to study the entire class' content.

3) In your Excel sheet, make a note of the various study materials you could use for revising each class. For example,
Molecular Biology: lecture notes, tutorial worksheets, lab notebook
English Literature: XYZ books, lecture notes, mid-term test answers
etc.

4) Make a day-by-day study schedule. The idea is not to cram, but rather allocate bite-sized chunks of revision material to be covered on each day leading up to the finals. This has been my mantra - I didn’t study 12-14 hours a day even once during college. Rather, I studied 3-4 hours each day for a few weeks leading up to the finals and this tricked worked well.

5) Doing past exam papers - this is an extremely powerful tool. Perhaps talk to your tutors or professors and get your hands on your class’ past year papers (finals). Time yourself and complete the papers as though they are the real thing. This is perhaps one of the best ways to study.

6) Reach out to your tutors and professors. If you want to bring your grades up, it might really pay to visit a professor/tutor/TA and ask them for advice on improving your grades specifically for their class. This is effective for another reason - they might drop hints on what might actually be tested. If that happens, you know what to prioritise on when you revise.

7) Take time out to unwind. This might seem counterintuitive especially when you’re under the impression that there’s so little time on hand. But in reality, getting some me-time each day will actually boost your productivity. 3-4 hours of diligent revision each day + relax at the end of the day is what consistency is all about. That will make coping and preparing for your finals much easier.

Hope these help! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread