TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14

How easy is it for Americans to work in Canada? - September 6th 2012, 07:54 PM

Hey everyone, hoping someone has some info on this.

I've been considering moving to Canada for quite some time now. I'm attracted by the higher minimum wage and better healthcare and public transportation, which even in smaller towns seems to be far better than in my state. I have a friend who has his own apartment in Quebec, but he doesn't know the answers to all my questions so I'm asking here.

About me: I'm still living with my parents right now and given how horribly I'm doing in college, there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to graduate and earn enough money to live on my own. Health insurance here for a single person is going to cost around $200 a month (with a deductible of $2,000) which I could never afford on my wages. None of my friends are able or willing to share an apartment/rent with anyone right now or in the foreseeable future. Basically the future for me in this country is looking extremely bleak.

So, to be able to work in Canada, what are the prospects for a largely uneducated and near-penniless 23 year old like me? Would I need to seek full citizenship or is there something like a work visa I could get instead? And most importantly, any estimates of how much this would cost? I appreciate any input.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by joeblow9999; September 6th 2012 at 07:59 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: How easy is it for Americans to work in Canada? - September 6th 2012, 11:47 PM

You could get a work visa, but there are only a limited number of these. Your chances of getting a work visa increases greatly if you have some sort of skill that could be applied to a job that is in need where you'll be living.
I do not know what kind of skills would be useful in Quebec, but generally in all of Canada knowing a skilled trade is very useful (electrical, plumbing, roofing, masonry, carpentry, etc..), having some sort of higher education (graduating from technical school or college for example), it's basically the same as getting one in the USA.
You could try and get a full citizenship but I'm not sure how that works. There are tests, and it takes time so I'm not sure if that option is for you.
You could get a student visa if you can afford to enroll in some sort of post-secondary course.

I would like to add though, that while we do have social health care it's not entirely free. We pay for it in taxes (as I know you know, I read your posts you're fairly smart), just be prepared for that when you get paid. I'm not sure about Quebec again, but minimum wage here is around $8 an hour. I make about $22 an hour, so I get around $1760, but only $1340 after taxes.

I will also add though, that the harder you're willing to work the higher your chances are. Our government has a way of...showing our appreciation of those who are willing to work in the oil field or mines by helping you get a visa or citizenship. It also pays incredibly well and requires next to no education, just common sense and physical work.
But again, Quebec, I'm not sure about. I'm actually pretty sure Eastern Canada would be one of the hardest places to get into as a foreigner. If you can, I would highly recommend thinking about Western Canada, if you go the oil field route you would be able to easily afford your own apartment and vehicle.

Oh and, not speaking French might hurt your chances quite a bit in Quebec. The first language in that province isn't English and in most occupations there priority goes to those who speak both languages or at least French.

Member since 2005
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14

Re: How easy is it for Americans to work in Canada? - September 9th 2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
You could get a work visa, but there are only a limited number of these. Your chances of getting a work visa increases greatly if you have some sort of skill that could be applied to a job that is in need where you'll be living.
I do not know what kind of skills would be useful in Quebec, but generally in all of Canada knowing a skilled trade is very useful (electrical, plumbing, roofing, masonry, carpentry, etc..), having some sort of higher education (graduating from technical school or college for example), it's basically the same as getting one in the USA.
You could try and get a full citizenship but I'm not sure how that works. There are tests, and it takes time so I'm not sure if that option is for you.
You could get a student visa if you can afford to enroll in some sort of post-secondary course.

I would like to add though, that while we do have social health care it's not entirely free. We pay for it in taxes (as I know you know, I read your posts you're fairly smart), just be prepared for that when you get paid. I'm not sure about Quebec again, but minimum wage here is around $8 an hour. I make about $22 an hour, so I get around $1760, but only $1340 after taxes.

I will also add though, that the harder you're willing to work the higher your chances are. Our government has a way of...showing our appreciation of those who are willing to work in the oil field or mines by helping you get a visa or citizenship. It also pays incredibly well and requires next to no education, just common sense and physical work.
But again, Quebec, I'm not sure about. I'm actually pretty sure Eastern Canada would be one of the hardest places to get into as a foreigner. If you can, I would highly recommend thinking about Western Canada, if you go the oil field route you would be able to easily afford your own apartment and vehicle.

Oh and, not speaking French might hurt your chances quite a bit in Quebec. The first language in that province isn't English and in most occupations there priority goes to those who speak both languages or at least French.
Hey Rick thanks for the reply

Yep, I am fully prepared to take a hit in taxes if it could be offset with higher wages (I've noticed all of my Canadian friends started out well above the minimum wage, for example my other friend in Alberta got a part time retail job that started him at $14.00/hr. An equivalent job in the US would start him out at not a cent over $7.25.) That and the guarantee of coverage even if I were to lose my job. The latter is what is particularly attractive about it for me.

I actually pointed out the fact that I can't speak French to my friend and he said that really wouldn't be a problem, as he has several friends who moved there from BC and they speak only English. He also said Quebec has uniquely inexpensive university which no other province does, and his tuition is $2,000 per year. Of course, I don't know if the lack of French would be an issue to attend school or not, he didn't know either. So many questions and so few answers!

If I do end up moving it probably won't happen for at least another 2 years or so, but I figured it would be a good idea to start planning ahead.

One more question: Driver's licenses and car insurance. Here in the US, or Oklahoma at least, they hand out licenses to anyone who can turn a steering wheel and pay $30. Car insurance is required by law but the cost varies wildly by coverage type and how many accidents you've been in. For me I can't find a quote less than $150/mo. How does it work there?

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by joeblow9999; September 9th 2012 at 05:29 PM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: How easy is it for Americans to work in Canada? - September 9th 2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_quark View Post

I actually pointed out the fact that I can't speak French to my friend and he said that really wouldn't be a problem, as he has several friends who moved there from BC and they speak only English. He also said Quebec has uniquely inexpensive university which no other province does, and his tuition is $2,000 per year. Of course, I don't know if the lack of French would be an issue to attend school or not, he didn't know either. So many questions and so few answers!

One thing that you would want to keep in mind is that recently the PQ (Parti Quebecois) won with a minority in the government. This political party favours separatism and French over English, so in the future there may be issues you'll have to deal with.

Regarding school, there are a bunch of universities (I think around 9-10). Most of them deliver content in French. Bishop's University and Concordia University are the two main exceptions as they deliver most of their content in English. It would greatly help if you learn some French because even not all people speak English and many are not fluent. This is true for Sherbrooke (city where Bishop's University is located) and Montreal (where Concordia University is located).

You wouldn't have much of an issue in terms of reading any signs because currently the law requires signs in French and English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_quark View Post
One more question: Driver's licenses and car insurance. Here in the US, or Oklahoma at least, they hand out licenses to anyone who can turn a steering wheel and pay $30. Car insurance is required by law but the cost varies wildly by coverage type and how many accidents you've been in. For me I can't find a quote less than $150/mo. How does it work there?
Getting a driver's license anywhere in Canada takes a bit more effort and each province or territory has their own unique procedures. For Quebec, it's a lot more tedious and would take almost 4 years, assuming you pass every test on the first try and are a resident of Quebec. If you're not a resident, then it will take longer, not sure how much though. To see why it's so tedious, click here if you're going to drive a car. Additionally, your full Class 5 license is valid for only 4 years but you must pay a fee each year to retain it. The fee is determined by the amount of demerit points, type of license and experience.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
Closed Thread