TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Assignment help-college bound or college students please - January 30th 2013, 11:48 PM

Okay, so as an assignment in my class on group work I have to lead a group with another person. We've settled on the topic of the group being "college planning" for high school students. I need a little help brainstorming since I've been out of college for a few years. We get 30 minutes to cover the topic and I need a place to start.

If you were going to attend a group on college planning, what kinds of topics would you want covered? We are doing this in 2 weeks all ideas welcome

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess

Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20 Points: 20,124, Level: 20

Re: Assignment help-college bound or college students please - January 31st 2013, 07:33 AM

Planning for that sort of stuff - it would be helpful to know how to pick courses, how to decide on a major, what degrees can lead to what jobs (for example BA and BSc have very open-ended options), and how to manage time with both work and study.

That's all I got, I think for me if I was about to go to uni, I'd want help knowing what courses to pick, and how to decide on a major.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Assignment help-college bound or college students please - February 3rd 2013, 05:33 AM

Well, as a freshman in my second semester, I have some ideas from what I observe and my own experience:
1. How to manage time. (Ideas on how to make a schedule and stick to it, how to prioritize, how to know when we have to do every word of the reading or when it will be okay (due to there not at times being enough hours in a day to accomodate all of the reading) skim or just read what is essential for questions.)
2. I would want to know how much time I have to figure out what exactly I would like to major in and if it is essential to know my major right when I get to college, do all schools offer an undeclaired listing and for how long are students allowed to be considered undeclaired. (I remember when I got here I was unsure of this, although, my advisor let us know this.)
3. What are classes generally like, are there differences from classes in high school and if so, what are these? (I've noticed some differences and I would have liked to know about them before coming here.)
4. Maybe find some myths about college and then point out what is actually true.
5. Emphasis on the fact that college is not all that it is appeared to be in TV/movie shows (parties, fun etc.) emphasis on there needing to be time to study and time to have fun and the dangers of having to much fun and to much studying (basically students need to have a balance of studying and fun.)

That is all I can think of for now but if I think of anymore, I will let you know.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Assignment help-college bound or college students please - February 3rd 2013, 05:47 AM

Well, as for College planning, do you mean more torwards Getting set to go to college and deciding what college?

Because then you can start going into:

-Planning early
1. Getting the grades that will best help you get to college.
2. Deciding what kind of College you want to go to, such as a Private 4 - Year college, IT School, Community College, ROTC / Military College, etc.

-When you select a college
1. What majors or programs do they do?
2. Anything there, that I could get a Scholarship for?
3. Proven schools like Yale or West Point.
4. Do I even have the money to go? OR do I need a lot of Loans and Scholarships?
5. Finally applying and visiting the school.

College, is such a broad thing, to be frank. Because there's people out there, just getting some credits at the local Community College, people getting their Medical or Law degree. Or people just going to the short vocational or trade schools to pick up a trade such as Car mechanics or web site design.

So you'll need to keep it either broad, in my opinion. Or decide on a route, such as YOUR College planning choices and focus more in depth with it.

Kind of get what I'm talking about? Lol.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Assignment help-college bound or college students please - February 3rd 2013, 04:50 PM

Another thing you might want to address is anxiety of getting into the program. A lot of people experience a lot of anxiety over getting in, over success (or lack of it), the adjustment of university, and program choices. So for example, I'm always worried about what I should take in school and am basically now in a position where I have my major but I might have to do yet another year (part time) to get psychology and biology credits to fulfil requirements for one of my programs of interest. And a lot of people don't know how to access the resources to figure out how to make these decisions and stuff so addressing that might be good. Like you might want to talk to them about doing their masters, if this is something of interest how do they access this information? And so on.

Another good topic to cover would be how to manage your time. I feel like a lot of these talks are very empty minded though, like oh make a schedule and stick to it. But they always neglect to say that A) school doesn't have to consume you, telling students that they should take sometime every day to eat, cook, shower, sleep and work out is very important and B) that they shouldn't try to take on to many things but to experiment with their interests and C) they should take time to do things like volunteering or hanging out with friends a few hours every week. It is so common for people to say to block out time for studying and stuff, whereas I am always thinking that's so unrealistic because I think that a lot of the time people should leave time in their day FOR things like studying where they can go between eating or talking a break to read AND to study, instead of trying to plan a week ahead to study for 3 hours on Thursday afternoon--basically encourage them to manage their time but not to make it to busy OR to rigid. I hope that helps.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Assignment help-college bound or college students please - February 3rd 2013, 06:02 PM

Just to be clear, we are FAKING these so we aren't dealing with real high school students. Our classmates are going to roleplay our groups for us and the professor apparently "misread" the syllabus so we have to demonstrate a first session which changes things a little. She says more introductions and icebreakers than content, but we should probably still have a topic to start on. I realize it's broad, we had about 5 minutes at the end of class to come up with topics for 2 groups because everyone has to go twice. We're using class to flesh it out after the test next week.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread