TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
t81487 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,880, Level: 10 Points: 4,880, Level: 10 Points: 4,880, Level: 10

Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 04:14 AM

I'm a 16 yr old sophomore in high school. I have a really bipolar self-image. Sometimes I think I am extremely good looking, and other times... not so much (mostly when I see myself in weird angles in pictures). I've never had a girlfriend. I'm pretty sheltered (not really from my parents but from myself. I'm not antisocial, but I'd rather stay at home and be on the computer), so I'm not entirely familiar with teenage girl psychology.

So anyway, in class, I had to do a group presentation. I was with my best friend (a guy) and a girl, Katie (pretty attractive). During the presentation, I was cracking some jokes and making people laugh (how I survive boring, tedious things about school). When we sat back down at our desks, I heard two other girls (Jess and Lela, more attractive that Katie) talking go Katie. They weren't talking loud, but they weren't whispering either. When I started listening, it was already in the middle of the convo, but I think I caught on to what they were saying. I'll attempt to transcribe...:

Jess: You totally should. You're both smart, you're both white as hell (I'm a very pale young man lol)

Lela: I mean it's not like "oh my god, he's hot!", but he's a cutie... a cutie with a booty (I don't know what makes guy butts attractive).

So I assume they were talking about me, given the context of what was going on in class, and I assume they were convincing Katie to... go out with me, I guess?

Another time, the teacher in class called my name to answer a question. I wasn't paying attention, so I paused for three seconds, sighed, yawned, and said, "what?". I didn't think it was that funny, but everyone laughed, and then Lela said out loud, "he's cute isn't he?".

So I'm questioning to myself whether this should be a confidence booster or if it's not a big deal at all.

TL;DR called cute by an attractive girl. Is it good that she said that, and if so, how good?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jen

Points: 12,045, Level: 15 Points: 12,045, Level: 15 Points: 12,045, Level: 15

Re: Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 04:34 AM

It is a confidence booster.

just done...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 06:10 AM

Pretty much anytime someone honestly compliments you, it should be a confidence booster. Now question about it.

If they sounded sincere and weren't; trying to bait you, then they were obviously discussing it honestly amongst themselves.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 06:30 AM

You should view it as a confidence booster. If they were talking about you then they obviously think you are attractive on some level. If you understood the context of the conversation then it seems like they think you are a good catch and that they think their friend should try and initiate a relationship with you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 11:55 AM

Hey,

I'd definitely look upon this as a confidence booster, take it as a compliment! These girls think you're cute. So wait and see what happens with this. Everyone could do with an ego boost every now and again.

Best of luck to you,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Called cute by girl in school. Wondering if this should be a confidence booster. - June 16th 2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t81487 View Post
I'm a 16 yr old sophomore in high school. I have a really bipolar self-image. Sometimes I think I am extremely good looking, and other times... not so much (mostly when I see myself in weird angles in pictures). I've never had a girlfriend. I'm pretty sheltered (not really from my parents but from myself. I'm not antisocial, but I'd rather stay at home and be on the computer), so I'm not entirely familiar with teenage girl psychology.

So anyway, in class, I had to do a group presentation. I was with my best friend (a guy) and a girl, Katie (pretty attractive). During the presentation, I was cracking some jokes and making people laugh (how I survive boring, tedious things about school). When we sat back down at our desks, I heard two other girls (Jess and Lela, more attractive that Katie) talking go Katie. They weren't talking loud, but they weren't whispering either. When I started listening, it was already in the middle of the convo, but I think I caught on to what they were saying. I'll attempt to transcribe...:

Jess: You totally should. You're both smart, you're both white as hell (I'm a very pale young man lol)

Lela: I mean it's not like "oh my god, he's hot!", but he's a cutie... a cutie with a booty (I don't know what makes guy butts attractive).

So I assume they were talking about me, given the context of what was going on in class, and I assume they were convincing Katie to... go out with me, I guess?

Another time, the teacher in class called my name to answer a question. I wasn't paying attention, so I paused for three seconds, sighed, yawned, and said, "what?". I didn't think it was that funny, but everyone laughed, and then Lela said out loud, "he's cute isn't he?".

So I'm questioning to myself whether this should be a confidence booster or if it's not a big deal at all.

TL;DR called cute by an attractive girl. Is it good that she said that, and if so, how good?
Hey man,

It should definitely be a confidence booster. I remember being your age, and I was in a very similar position. I wasn't necessarily anti-social, but I prefered staying home and playing video games or futzing around on the computer. I like how you put that you have bipolar self-image, I feel exactly the same and have forever. Ha.

Anyways, I believe you should feel confidence towards it. I recommend, however, not making a huge deal out of it. It should give you inward confidence that reflects outward, just don't obsess about it -- if you get my drift.

You could always try flirting with her and see where it goes if you're uncertain. Sometimes it's hard to assess a situation based on someones interpretation of events. However, given what you've said, it does seem they were into you.
Closed Thread