TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Hard work doesn't mean much - September 5th 2020, 08:50 PM

At my workplace there's this new PT who joined us after lockdown. He transferred from another gym. The gym he transferred from was one nearby, where my previous gym manager (one I've complained about before) is. He transferred because gym manager there treated him like crap (surprise surprise). The new PT is actually a really nice guy. However, there's something I can't help but feel bitter about.

I've worked my butt off to even get one client at the gym. I allowed that old gym manager to treat me like crap because I felt like I'd lose my job otherwise. I put in 10 hours a day. In total I was working 62 hours a week. I forced myself to become social even when I hated it. I made sure to advertise myself on social media. On the gym's website. The gym's in-house advertising. My mother spent money so I could purchase professionally made business cards. I would try and market myself as much as I possibly could. It has taken me 8 months (including lockdown) to get a single client.

Yet, this new PT comes along after spending just 3 weeks here. He puts in zero effort to be at the gym outside of his assigned shift hours. He has no advertising. No business cards. No online or in-house profile. No social media. He spends his time hiding away from gym members by cleaning areas of the gym where there's no one around. He used his time off during lockdown to work on his acting career. He hasn't bothered preparing anything for when he got back. He didn't even know when he should run a consultation.... he gets a client. Just like that.

I can't help but be bitter.

I like the guy as a person. I think he's great. But I can't help but be bitter at the fact some guy walked up to him, without even knowing who he was or where he came from and said, 'I'm looking for a PT and want 3 sessions a week'.

The PT comes rushing into the staff room, where I was sat just 10 minutes before my shift was due to start, and started panicking to me about how he didn't even know how much to charge the guy. He spent an hour on the phone with our new gym manager who tried to give him a ton of advice. Then as soon as he got off the phone, wanted to know how much I charge clients. He wanted to take all my hard work, and knowledge I had gained, just so he can quickly form a plan of how to get this guy to pay him.

I felt so bitter and annoyed underneath. I know I should be happy for him. But I can't. I can't be happy for somebody who has been there for barely any time at all, who doesn't even know who he is, and suddenly gets a client. Yet there I was working my backside off, having to deal with a lousy gym manager who crapped on me so hard I nearly reconsidered my stay there.

It makes me feel like hard work and effort mean nothing. I know that there are 2/3 men at the gym, so it's easier for male PTs to get clients. But I can't help how I feel. It's such a smack in the face.

Previously my mother made comments saying, 'You watch <PTs name> get a client right away while you've had to work hard to get yours'. Sure enough it happened, and she can't help but feel like it was all too convenient. More so because the PT met the gym manager whilst doing a first aid course so they were rather pally with one another. I want to stay objective and just say it was really good timing for him and that it's just a coincidence... but I can't help but just feel so bitter.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,139, Level: 47 Points: 109,139, Level: 47 Points: 109,139, Level: 47

Re: Hard work doesn't mean much - September 6th 2020, 06:00 PM

Hello Sarah,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. When you are working at a place you always want to be able to enjoy what you are doing and like the people who you are working with. If you are working at a place that you do not like your boss or another person, it can be very hard to go to work everyday. Your boss should never be rude to you or anyone else and it does not matter how many people they have working for them or if they are having a bad day. Would you be able to try talking with your boss when you have time and say all of this and how much time you have put in and anything else that you need to say and see what they say back. When you are talking to them do your best to stay calm and try not to get upset when you are talking. I know that it can be hard, sometimes when we need to talk to someone about something that we are upset about. Or if you want to try you can write a email to them and give it to them and ask them if you can talk when they have time.

Would you be able to look for another place to work? Someone who would always be nice to you and never rude, they will help you out when you need it. I know that it can be hard looking for a different place to work and I hope that you will be okay soon. Hugs

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Hard work doesn't mean much - September 7th 2020, 03:40 AM

Hi there Sarah,

Urgh, that must be so frustrating! It's never nice when you put so much time and effort into something and you don't get the results you want. However I would talk to someone you work with about it and see what they say. I know I wasn't much help but if you need to talk, please let me know.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Hard work doesn't mean much - September 7th 2020, 10:14 AM

Thank you both for your responses.

I've spoken to the assistant manager whom I get on very well with, and the new gym manager. On Tuesday it was the 2nd time I explained to them that the new PT keeps coming to me for help and advice rather than them. The assistant manager said she'll make sure to have a talk with him. I did see the new gym manager chatting to the new PT on Monday but clearly whatever's being said to him, he's just not taking it in properly.

I'm not even sad that after all my hard work and I only now start to get clients. I felt like my hard work finally paid off, but when a new PT comes in and does literally nothing yet instantly gets a client whereas I had to work hard for it... this is where my problem lies.

I can't go to a new gym to work because I'm already licensed to this one. Not only that, you have to build a reputation before anyone really gets to know you... though I guess evidenced by this new PT... apparently not as much as I had been lead to believe.

I feel I just need to work even harder. Be at the gym more, force myself to become even more sociable with others and push harder to become even more recognised.

Currently I have the advantage that this new PT is admittedly kind of bumbling around. He has no clue what he's doing and thinks that everything is just him floating on a cloud. Not everyone is going to be like his first client where they're going to be THAT prepared to have PT and be severely overcharged because the guy had no clue what to do.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Hard work doesn't mean much - September 24th 2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
Thank you both for your responses.

I've spoken to the assistant manager whom I get on very well with, and the new gym manager. On Tuesday it was the 2nd time I explained to them that the new PT keeps coming to me for help and advice rather than them. The assistant manager said she'll make sure to have a talk with him. I did see the new gym manager chatting to the new PT on Monday but clearly whatever's being said to him, he's just not taking it in properly.

I'm not even sad that after all my hard work and I only now start to get clients. I felt like my hard work finally paid off, but when a new PT comes in and does literally nothing yet instantly gets a client whereas I had to work hard for it... this is where my problem lies.

I can't go to a new gym to work because I'm already licensed to this one. Not only that, you have to build a reputation before anyone really gets to know you... though I guess evidenced by this new PT... apparently not as much as I had been lead to believe.

I feel I just need to work even harder. Be at the gym more, force myself to become even more sociable with others and push harder to become even more recognised.

Currently I have the advantage that this new PT is admittedly kind of bumbling around. He has no clue what he's doing and thinks that everything is just him floating on a cloud. Not everyone is going to be like his first client where they're going to be THAT prepared to have PT and be severely overcharged because the guy had no clue what to do.
Hi there,

I apologize for the delay in responding. It's good to hear that you spoke to your managers and they took on board with what you said. I know a lot of managers that don't.
Please continue in doing what you are doing. Your hard work will definitely pay off one way or another.

Closed Thread