TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Work struggles. - January 18th 2020, 02:32 AM

So I have two jobs - one is a full-time position at a childcare centre where I have been working there for soon to be 8 years. I've been in the same position since 2013 and haven't been given the opportunity to work my way up into a leadership/management role. They haven't even asked. There are staff members there that have been working there a less amount of time than me and who are younger that are in more responsible roles and who are getting paid more than me. I feel like the workplace has become to toxic and I'm slowly getting more and more frustrated over little things.

The other position is a new job where I'll be working at a country club as a bartender and gaming attendant. This is an 'upgrade' from my other hospitality jobs and this will help me complete my Diploma of Hospitality Management. Once I have finished, I'll review whether it's worth me having two jobs. However, as it's a new venue, they are still in the process of finishing everything to make it safe. I was supposed to be working Saturday for a couple of hours but I got an email on Thursday from one of the duty managers telling me that they had to cancel my shift due to my uniform not arriving (they wanted everyone to be in the right uniform as I was rostered on to be in the function area for a 'soft opening') and they are expecting the uniform order to arrive at the end of the month. They also had to push the opening to the second week in February which in a way is good for me so I can have more of a break before I go back to working 5-6 days a week. But I'm a little worried now that they'll turn around and tell me that because something has happened, I can no longer work there. I saw on their Facebook page in the review section that a gentleman had posted a review about a friend of his that had been hired and management turned around and sacked them because there was an issue with the references (whether something happened because this person had done something for the company to sack them before they even started is a different story but let's leave it at that ). It's seem genuine and they did tell me that they will keep me updated in regards to training dates and when the uniform come in.

I've been applying for so many different full-time positions where the salary is better and I won't have to work so much but because I only have experience in hospitality/customer service and childcare, a lot of the jobs I would love to do won't take me on because I don't have experience in that field.

Last edited by Dawn.; January 19th 2020 at 04:47 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Work struggles. - January 20th 2020, 01:23 AM

Hey there, not sure if you are looking for a response since this seems to be general rambling; but I thought I would provide my insight nonetheless! You say you are studying at university to receive your degree in hospitality management, which means that you want to stay in the restaurant scene—whatever sort that may be... hotel, country club, etc—so it'd make sense for you to look for a job in the hospitality industry.

I think it's very important to look at review for a place where you might potentially work in the future; but it's important to remember that as this is a new business, that the reviews might be more personal level rather as opposed to being a review as a consumer. It's up to you to make the appropriate judgement; but this is something to keep in mind as you look at those reviews.

I would say you should keep looking at and applying for other employment opportunities, just in case this one falls through.

Good luck!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Work struggles. - January 21st 2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity. View Post
Hey there, not sure if you are looking for a response since this seems to be general rambling; but I thought I would provide my insight nonetheless! You say you are studying at university to receive your degree in hospitality management, which means that you want to stay in the restaurant scene—whatever sort that may be... hotel, country club, etc—so it'd make sense for you to look for a job in the hospitality industry.

I think it's very important to look at review for a place where you might potentially work in the future; but it's important to remember that as this is a new business, that the reviews might be more personal level rather as opposed to being a review as a consumer. It's up to you to make the appropriate judgement; but this is something to keep in mind as you look at those reviews.

I would say you should keep looking at and applying for other employment opportunities, just in case this one falls through.

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. I was actually looking for advice but I thought it to be more than just 'general rambling'. I just needed to vent.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Maybe I'm just over-reacting.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Work struggles. - January 21st 2020, 06:13 PM

No, it is completely valid to be concerned based on what you've read! When I check something out, I always look at the reviews for them—I think food you buy at the grocery store is the only thing I don't look at reviews for, since I can judge what is good or not for me —to kind of get an idea of how that product or piece is. Sometimes, it's important to remember, and especially as someone who may have to give a review on something some day, to remain impartial towards your feelings regarding someone.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Work struggles. - January 24th 2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
No, it is completely valid to be concerned based on what you've read! When I check something out, I always look at the reviews for them—I think food you buy at the grocery store is the only thing I don't look at reviews for, since I can judge what is good or not for me —to kind of get an idea of how that product or piece is. Sometimes, it's important to remember, and especially as someone who may have to give a review on something some day, to remain impartial towards your feelings regarding someone.
Haha was this post meant for my thread?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Work struggles. - January 24th 2020, 01:05 PM

Yeah, it was.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Work struggles. - January 26th 2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it was.
Sorry! When I was reading it at first, I was still half asleep.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Work struggles. - January 28th 2020, 09:08 PM

Oh, yeah, that happens!

Has any progress or updates been made?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Work struggles. - February 1st 2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, that happens!

Has any progress or updates been made?
I sent an email yesterday asking if my uniform has arrived and they replied back today saying that it had but they are moving my position over to bar staff member because they need me to be able to get used to the system, then they'll be able to cross-train me (I wasn't able to make the training shifts due to my full-time position) which is extremely frustrating because the gaming attendant was the position I REALLY wanted as it will allow me to be able to advance my hospitality career and potentially allow me to apply for duty management positions. Also, it annoyed me and I had to be the one to e-mail them and I wasn't kept in the loop.

I've been applying for SO many different positions but I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Last edited by Dawn.; February 1st 2020 at 05:09 AM.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Work struggles. - February 2nd 2020, 11:24 PM

So they pulled that one out from under you without communicating? I'm sorry, that's too bad.

Yeah, searching for a job in any industry with a high demand and especially a particular niche is tough.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Work struggles. - February 7th 2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
So they pulled that one out from under you without communicating? I'm sorry, that's too bad.

Yeah, searching for a job in any industry with a high demand and especially a particular niche is tough.
It is quite frustrating to be honest as I thought I was getting somewhere with this company but we'll wait and see.

Closed Thread