TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 9th 2020, 10:33 PM

Hey,

I think it would be very interesting to see what type of careers people wanted to be in when they were 10 years old compared to what they want to be today.

I will go first:
When I was ten years old I wanted to be a dolphin trainer, I didn't know what it was called at the time but all I knew was I wanted to work at Marine world and do the dolphin shows and play with dolphins all the time. Once I realized that you had to study a lot of science to be a marine biologist I changed my mind.

In the last five years I have gone back and forth on what I want to do. I really wanted to be a therapist or an art therapist and work in eating disorder treatment centers but school just isn't for me. So for now I just want to work in a mental hospital and help people that way.

Lets hear form all of you on what you wanted to be when you were ten compared to what you want to be now.

Your Friend,
Frankie
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 9th 2020, 11:48 PM

When I was ten I wanted to be a doctor, specifically one specializing in infectious diseases. Now I want a career in public health, especially something to do with sexual health.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 10th 2020, 05:58 AM

When I was younger (possibly 10) I used to want to be a vet. Now I'm working with individuals who have severe mental illness.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Name: Lucy

Points: 20,816, Level: 20 Points: 20,816, Level: 20 Points: 20,816, Level: 20

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 10th 2020, 09:01 AM

As kid I wanted to be an astronaut
Now I want to help people - especially people with mental illnesses.

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 10th 2020, 09:43 AM

When I was 10, I wanted to be a vet.

Now, I work with children and I would love to still do something with animals or own my vet practice or bar/restaurant.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 10th 2020, 11:03 PM

When I was 10, I wanted to work with animals, specifically dogs. When I was younger than 10, I wanted to be a vet, but as I grew, I learned about the more realistic side of being a vet and realised that I didn't think I could handle it. But I still wanted to work with dogs, though I didn't know what.

I later wanted to be a teacher, but again realised it wasn't something I could handle. Then a counsellor, and similar kind of problems with that. I'm not working at the moment and don't have any career plans as such but I'd like to do something in terms of support/research/advocacy in the realm of mental health and/or autism.

That said, I haven't completely ruled out counselling or working with dogs/animals in some capacity either!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 11th 2020, 05:14 AM

When I was ten, I wanted to be a teacher. Now, I'm struggling to find my place in this world, but I would love to do something with survivors of trauma, particularly abuse and/or sexual assault.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 13th 2020, 11:43 PM

When I was ten, or around there, I wanted to be a teacher. When I grew older, I realized there were times in which the teacher in charge of a classroom was responsible for the lives of children in very stressful situations; for example, a lock-down during an active shooter crisis.

I have a job and while it's not my ideal job, I still enjoy doing what I do in some aspects. I love to write and I love helping others, even if I'm not doing it in the way I want to when I am at work.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 14th 2020, 11:14 PM

When I was ten I wanted to be a veterinarian. Now I work at a drug and alcohol rehab facility

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - March 15th 2020, 01:01 PM

I wanted to be a 'research scientist' as I kept putting it to everyone at the time. Then I wanted to be in the army. Now I work in a gym.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
AnnWhite Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,287, Level: 5 Points: 1,287, Level: 5 Points: 1,287, Level: 5

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - August 12th 2020, 01:41 PM

I wanted to be an artist, then a teacher)) Then I went to high school and realized that I wanted to have a minimum of dealings with people ((I chose programming as my main specialty. It seems to me that this is ideal for an introvert. I can not say that it was easy. Mine the brain is more like the brain of an artist)) But I used a tutor and help from the service edited All this in a complex gave me the opportunity not to pay attention to secondary subjects and study my specialization. It seems to me that I made a good choice.

Last edited by Ennui.; August 13th 2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Advertising link
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - August 14th 2020, 09:00 PM

What a fun idea for a thread When I was 10 I wanted to be a knight, lol. My uncle made me a wooden sword and a shield that I painted, all that stuff. Can you imagine how disappointed I was after learning that becoming a knight would be quite hard nowadays? Right now I'd like to become an interior designer. More boring, but probably a bit more lucrative too. xd

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Career you wanted at 10 vs what you want to be now - September 4th 2020, 08:45 PM

It's interesting to look back upon this six months later. I certainly agree somewhat the same as I did back in March; but feel differently in regards to my job... or what was.

I would love to do something involving writing, and I think I probably always have; I just never realized it until I was much older.
Closed Thread