TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

I’m really slow at learning my new job - October 26th 2020, 10:56 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I have been at my job for five days. It’s in an office attached to a warehouse and all on a computer. We have to process a lot of reports and fix how much we are charging stores, sort papers, email people, and it’s really easy to mess things up and there’s just a ton to it. The problem is is that I’ve been there 5 days watching a girl go through the things daily on her computer and as soon as she tells me to go do one I completely forgot what the steps were and what to even do. It’s embarrassing, I can tell the girls laugh at me and call me dumb, today will be my sixth day and I’m still clueless and so embarrassed... I cried at work on Friday because I feel like I am just too dumb for the job![/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: I’m really slow at learning my new job - October 26th 2020, 06:01 PM

Hey,

First of all congrats on the new job! Starting any job is hard especially when there are processes you need to learn. Most of the speed the workers there have comes from experience and practice, and everyone has to start somewhere. I know it feels embarassing, but be patient with yourself. Some people take a little longer to pick things up than others, and even so, 5 days is no time at all! It took me months to be confident in my job, and even now, four years in, I still have to ask for help sometimes. Each of the people there, whether they're laughing at you or calling you names or not, has been where you are. It's completely unfair for them to judge you when each of them has had to be the new person who didn't know anything once too. I'm sorry that they're making you feel so bad. I promise you you're not and never will be too dumb for any job. Training takes time, and forgetting things will happen sometimes. It doesn't mean you can't do it, just that you're learning.

I would recomment maybe taking in a small notebook and making yourself an easy step by step guide for any of the things you're unsure of. At my place of work, there are some of us who have been there years, and having a sheet of paper or a book with all the things you're unsure of there can take a lot of the worry away.

I hope that they stop making you feel bad for simply learning your job soon. I promise you it'll get easier with experience, and everyone starts off a new job feeling a bit overwhelmed at first. You've got this. Be kind to yourself, allow yourself the time you need to learn. Good luck and congrats once more!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread