TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wisteria103 Offline
La vie en rose
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Wes

Points: 959, Level: 4 Points: 959, Level: 4 Points: 959, Level: 4

Career Counseling? - June 8th 2021, 09:46 PM

Hey, all!

I recently started feeling like I'm hitting a crossroads with my career prospects. I graduated in 2019 with a theatre degree completely confident that I was going to pursue the field professionally but long story and global pandemic short, I don't feel the same anymore. I kind of want to go down other paths, however I'm just not sure which one is the most beneficial for me.

I've been looking a little bit into career counseling and thinking about it as the potential first step to a change. I haven't done too much research yet but just wanted to reach out and ask first. Has anyone tried career counseling in the past? What exactly does it entail and if you're comfortable sharing your experience, how was it for you?

Thanks in advance!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Career Counseling? - June 11th 2021, 08:11 PM

Hey there,

I think many people are re-evaluating their careers and lifestyles due to the pandemic so rest assured you aren't alone. Even without the pandemic, many people may find themselves wanting to change careers!

It sounds like you've changed your mind about going into theatre and that you have several ideas that you'd like to explore. I definitely think career counselling could be helpful to you!

I've not had any personal experience of career counselling, but I know someone who has had career counselling from a local organisation. They found it helpful as they were able to get the advice about which route was best to get into a particular career and their career coach was able to suggest some places that they could volunteer at as well. It depends on the organisations in your area...some might be willing to help find you volunteering/courses/employment opportunities while others may give you sessions to help you think about what you what and focus on how to go about achieving your goals, they won't necessarily help you find opportunities.

Hope others can give you their insight!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
javier221 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 446, Level: 3 Points: 446, Level: 3 Points: 446, Level: 3

Re: Career Counseling? - October 18th 2021, 01:04 PM

Career Counselling is highly beneficial when you are going through a crisis. Without it, most people end up with careers they are not comfortable with it. Career counseling is helpful in deciding on a career since it allows you to get to know and understand yourself and the world of work in greater depth, allowing you to make more educated and meaningful career selections. A career counselor can help you figure out who you are and what you want from your job by providing you with unbiased views, knowledge, expertise, and recommendations.
The same happened to me. I took a four-year degree in software engineering. But I was never truly happy with the career in it. I took 2 sessions of career counseling and they inspired me to become a web developer which was neither too far from my actual degree nor related too closely related to it. Now I am happy with my job.
Closed Thread