TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
•••

Edit avatar

Is this discrimination? - July 21st 2022, 02:24 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I’m not sure if this is in the right place so I apologize if it isn’t.

I worked at a business for about six years and got laid off fairly early on in the pandemic. I was never given adequate communication on the status of my job and wasn’t told until many months later that I had, indeed, lost my job. There was several changes in the executive role and I was told by the previous person in the role — who I have grown very close to over the years — that this individual has a different professional mindset than she does. I really have no better way to word that.

I guess what I mean is that she’s not receptive to offers for volunteer work or any other engagement not only from me, but from another individual. This other individual, who lives in the same community as me, has previously had some sort of engagement while I was employed there; these opportunities was given by the person who held the executive role back then. However, in the current standing, I am told that this individual and her support group are getting no responses from anyone there.

Just like I’ve tried reaching out several times and have gotten no responses either.

Now, here’s where we get to the question. I have Autism and the individual I’m referring to — who is also trying to reach out with her support group — has Down Syndrome. My question is: Is this discrimination? Is it discrimination on the basis of our neurodivergence or having a chromosomal difference?

I’ll say that I have reached out several times in recent months and have received radio silence. I volunteered at several events and was no acknowledged in any form, nor was I given any credit when I took pictures at events. I can't speak for the individual with Down Syndrome, but I know she enjoyed being involved in the past.

This isn’t just a minor oversight. Something is happening and I am not sure what.

I’m sorry, I have no idea where to turn but to this forum. I have too many mutual connections on Facebook, my person is probably tired of my complaints — although she never expresses it, and nobody else would be willing to analyze it with me or come up with possible alternatives… or just let me vent and offer some words of wisdom.

Thanks.[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Is this discrimination? - July 21st 2022, 06:42 AM

I'm afraid that your question is true.
I see lot of discrimination in this cases. Maybe not evident, but there is
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Corti Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1

Re: Is this discrimination? - July 22nd 2022, 02:35 AM

Hey,

Sorry to hear that. Even if it's a discrimination, what can you do with this? Is it possible to tell about this somewhere?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Is this discrimination? - July 22nd 2022, 04:15 AM

I can absolutely see why you're asking, but proving it would be difficult. Getting laid off during the pandemic, and not being communicated with isn't discrimination as much as poor communication. And having a new person in the restructured company not like you and make your life difficult isn't either, I literally just quit my job because this happened to me and now I suspect I'm blacklisted; unless you know it's because of your disability, and even then, like I said, it would be almost impossible to prove.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread